We are glad you are interested in applying to the program and are excited to receive your application! Every year, the MHCBM program admits students into one cohort that starts classes in the fall. Please read the information below before applying through the online application portal.
In addition to completing the Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine program’s online application, prospective students must also submit:
- Non-refundable $95.00 application fee.
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended (including study abroad and all transfer credits). Students must complete a baccalaureate degree prior to entry into the program.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to the likelihood of your academic and career success. We recommend that two of your letters of recommendation come from faculty members who can speak to your academic potential.
- Written personal statement that describes your desire to become a counseling practitioner
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (for applicants from countries where English is not the language of instruction). If an international student has already obtained a degree in the United States, this requirement is waived.
As of November 1, 2018, the Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine program no longer requires that applicants submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores nor Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores as part of their application. Applicants may still choose to submit GRE scores if they feel they may strengthen their application. The BU ETS code is 3087.
TOEFL score requirements are:
- Our code is 3087
- Paper-based test: 550
- Internet-based test
- Reading: 21
- Listening: 18
- Speaking: 23
- Writing: 22
IELTS score requirements are:
- Band score: 7.0
We are committed to improving the diversity of our profession and encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
The Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine program uses a rolling admissions process, starting in September and lasting until May. We strongly encourage students to apply early, as we accept students only until slots for the new academic year are filled. After applying to the program, selected applicants are offered an invitation to interview. Here are the application deadlines for fall 2021 start:
Early Deadline: December 1, 2020
Final Deadline: January 25, 2021
(Please note, the deadline in Webadmit reads May 1, 2021. This is an internal deadline. The final application deadline for the program will be 01/25/2021 for fall 2021 start.)
All applicants applying to the Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine Program must complete an interview to evaluate their candidacy for admission to the program.
Formal interviews begin in January. Interviews are by invitation only
During the 2020-21 academic year, we will be hosting online information session events for interested applicants to learn more about our program and ask questions. These will be facilitated via Facebook Live. Prospective students are welcome to post questions to our Facebook page ahead of time. Here are the dates and times for the Facebook Live information sessions for 2020-2021:
- Monday October 5 at 11:00-11:30 a.m. EST
- Monday November 2 at 11:00-11:30 a.m. EST
- Monday November 30 at 11:00-11:30 a.m. EST
- Monday January 11 at 11:00-11:30 a.m. EST
A recording will be made available after each session.