We are glad you are interested in applying to the program and are excited to receive your application! Each year, the MHCBM program admits students into a unique cohort model that begins classes full-time together in the fall semester. Please read the information below before applying through the online application portal.
In addition to completing the Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine program’s online application, prospective students must also submit:
- $95 application fee (non-refundable).
- Unofficial transcripts from each college or university attended (including study abroad and all transfer credits). Students must complete a baccalaureate degree prior to entry into the program. Official transcripts are required if admitted and you choose to enroll.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to the likelihood of your academic and career success. We recommend that two of your letters of recommendation come from faculty members who may speak to your academic potential.
- Written personal statement that describes your desire to become a counseling practitioner.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (for applicants from countries where English is not the language of instruction). If an international student has already obtained a degree in the United States, this requirement is waived.
As of November 1, 2018, the Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine program no longer require that applicants submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores nor Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores as part of their application. Applicants may still choose to submit GRE scores if they feel they may strengthen their application. The BU ETS code is 3087.
The deadlines for the 2021-2022 year (seeking fall 2022 entry) are as follows:
First Deadline: December 1, 2021
Final Deadline: January 19, 2022
Please note that neither deadline is binding and all students are considered for scholarship opportunities within the program. There is no separate application for these awards. Additionally, Boston University offers a number of other scholarship and fellowship funding opportunities, which you may explore here.
The MHCBM Program’s application portal opens in September. We encourage students to apply when they feel their application is at its strongest.
- If you are currently an undergraduate student and you feel like your recommendations or GPA could benefit from an additional semester of education, perhaps the second deadline is a better fit for you. If you are still in college/university, you are welcome to apply to the first deadline, but we will request both your first semester grades and if accepted and you choose to enroll, your final grades and official transcript.
- If you have robust clinical experience and have a strong professional and/or academic record and you have your materials in order, the first deadline may be a great time to submit your materials. We would also welcome them in January.
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept applications after January 19th, 2022. After applying to the program, selected applicants are offered an invitation to interview.
Please note, the deadline on the admissions portal may read May 1, 2022. This is an internal deadline. The final application deadline for the program is January 19, 2022 (midnight EST) for fall 2022 start.
We are committed to improving the diversity of our profession and encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Additionally, if you are experiencing financial hardship or extenuating circumstances, or are alumni of a community-based program (City Year, TFA, Americorps, Posse Fellows, Peace Corps etc.), or of the US Military, please submit a fee waiver, here for review. Please note that fee waivers must be submitted before you have submitted your application for review and are only available for US Citizens and Permanent Residents at this time.
International applicants: please see these FAQs from GMS Admissions to answer many commonly asked questions and note our language requirements below. These requirements are waived if you are from a country or attend/ed a university where English is the primary language of instruction.
TOEFL score requirements are:
- Our code is 3087
- Paper-based test: 550
- Internet-based test
- Reading: 21
- Listening: 18
- Speaking: 23
- Writing: 22
IELTS score requirements are:
- Band score: 7.0
All applicants applying to the Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine Program must complete an interview to evaluate their candidacy for admission to the program.
Formal interviews begin in January and are held, by invitation only,
During the 2021-2022 academic year, we will be hosting online information session events for interested applicants to learn more about our program and ask questions.
These will be facilitated via Facebook Live. Prospective students are encouraged to post questions to our Facebook page ahead of time.
→ 10/4 Important Update: due to the Facebook and Instagram outages, we have moved the 10/6 info session virtual event to Zoom at noon/12 PM EST. We will update our social media platforms when we regain access and post the recorded videos after the session. We look forward to seeing you at that time. Thank you for your flexibility and understanding.
Topic: MHCBM – October Info Session
Time: Oct 6, 2021 12:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 947 5620 5900
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,94756205900# US (Chicago)
+16468769923,,94756205900# US (New York)
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 947 5620 5900
Find your local number: https://bostonu.zoom.us/u/abetTGFWCE
Join by SIP
Join by H.323
188.8.131.52 (US West)
184.108.40.206 (US East)
220.127.116.11 (India Mumbai)
18.104.22.168 (India Hyderabad)
22.214.171.124 (Amsterdam Netherlands)
126.96.36.199 (Australia Sydney)
188.8.131.52 (Australia Melbourne)
184.108.40.206 (Hong Kong SAR)
220.127.116.11 (Canada Toronto)
18.104.22.168 (Canada Vancouver)
22.214.171.124 (Japan Tokyo)
126.96.36.199 (Japan Osaka)
Meeting ID: 947 5620 5900
Sessions for will be held at noon 12PM EST/9AM PST during the following dates:
- Wednesday, October 6
- Wednesday, November 3
- Wednesday, December 1
- Wednesday, January 12
Questions may be submitted beforehand and a recording will be made available after each session so you may view it at your leisure.
To maintain equity, we are unable to schedule individual appointments with applicants but will answer your questions over email or via information session. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are not able to host on-campus visitors or hold on-campus info sessions at this time. We thank you for your understanding!