Fall 2023 Accepted Students
Congratulations on your acceptance to Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine! We look forward to welcoming you to the Graduate Medical Sciences community.
Accepted Student Day
Accepted Student Day is scheduled for June 21, 2023. More details will be provided as we near the event date.
*The link to the Accepted Student Day webpage will be posted here when available.
Admitted Student Checklist
We are pleased that you have selected Boston University for your master’s degree or PhD! If you have decided to accept your offer of admission to Boston University, the following checklist outlines the required actions you must take prior to matriculating:
- Accept Offer: Accept your offer of admission by the date specified in your acceptance letter (link provided) and submit your deposit online. *Should you require a decision deadline extension during these uncertain times, please contact your program director.
- Compliance: Meet University Compliance Requirements via the Student Link. These include:
- Health Insurance: Health Insurance. Massachusetts law requires all students who are enrolled in at least 75 percent of the full-time curriculum ( 9 credits) to carry health insurance. The Boston University Student Medical Insurance Plan is administered by Aetna Student Health. Boston University automatically enrolls students in our Aetna health insurance plan; if you already have comparable coverage you may waive the medical insurance via the Student Accounting Services website. NOTE: PhD students are automatically enrolled in the BU PLUS health insurance plan.
- BU Alert Phone Number: Boston University requires all students studying on Massachusetts campuses must provide a BU Alert phone number, which is used to notify you of a University-wide emergency. View and update your BU Alert phone number on the Student Link, Personal Tab, Address and Phone Option.
- Settle Student Account: All students must settle their students account by the deadline each semester.
- Immunizations: Massachusetts law requires that all full-time and many part-time students be immunized. Please visit SHS for Incoming Student Health Requirements including information about COVID Vaccination. (More information is shown below)
- Sexual Misconduct Prevention: Students must complete the Graduate Sexual Misconduct Prevention Training. Students will be notified by email in mid-August.
- Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Law Requirements: Out-of-state students read and acknowledge on Student Link. Sign an acknowledgement of MA motor laws.
- Update Current Address
- Other Required Documents & Training: Available on the 2023 Orientation Blackboard site in August.
- Official Transcript: If you have not already done so, submit a final transcript, degree certificate, or other official documents showing all previous degrees conferred to GMS Admissions by September 1, 2023. Electronic submissions need to be addressed to GMS Transcripts (email@example.com). If a transcript is not in English, or is from an institution in a foreign country where the registrar will not directly mail an official transcript to GMS, a WES Evaluation is required.
- Housing: Search for on or off-campus housing. Please visit the GMS Housing page as well as the BMC Office of Housing Resources for information regarding housing, and direct specific questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Handbook: Review the Student Handbook (2023-2024 version coming soon). This comprehensive document covers basic GMS information, Policies and Procedures, Academic Conduct Code and Disciplinary Procedures.
- Student ID: Get your Terrier Card (BU student ID). Terrier Cards for new students are issued at the start of the student’s first semester. This process will be detailed on the Fall 2023 Orientation webpage (which will be available mid-summer).
- Social Media: Like us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn to stay up to date with GMS news and events!
If you decide to defer or withdraw, please complete the Withdrawal Form, email your program director, GMS Admissions (email@example.com) and the GMS Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to September 4, 2023 stating that you officially withdraw your application. For any technical questions regarding indicating your admission decision, please contact GMS Admissions (email@example.com).
Arrival to Campus
*More details to be provided when available.
All GMS programs have Orientation on September 1, 2023 with classes starting September 5, unless otherwise specified. Please check the Fall 2023 Orientation webpage for more details (which will be available mid-summer).
Boston University Email Account and Registration
Setup BU Email:
- Information to set up your BU email address and Kerberos password will be emailed to you by either the GMS Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Academic Program Administrator, Mike Benac, (email@example.com) in June/July (May for OHS students).
- Create a BU login name and Kerberos password to be able to access BU’s webmail and other internet services.
- Once you create your account, please remember to check your BU email regularly as this will be your primary email account for the University.
- Please contact the GMS Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions regarding setting up your BU email address and Kerberos password, which are needed to access Student Link.
Most incoming students will be pre-registered for the fall core curriculum, but adjustments may be made during Orientation.
*Registration information will be provided when available.
BUMC will host a Housing Fair in May 2023. If you missed it, you can find more information and a list of vendors here.
For more information about housing for our graduate students, check out our Housing Resources page.
You can also check out the video below to hear directly from our students!
Check out the BU International Graduate Student Guide here.
Please see the ISSO webpage for more information.
Raissa Souza, an international student and past President of the Graduate Medical Sciences Student Organization, shares some insight with incoming students.
Should you have any problems or questions regarding your visa status, please contact the International Students and Scholars Office at 888 Commonwealth Avenue, 2nd floor, (617-353-3565 or email@example.com) or GMS Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org). You will not be allowed to register for classes until the International Students and Scholars Office has cleared you for admission. Note that June 1st is the deadline for students who need to be sponsored by ISSO in order to be able to apply and receive their US Visa in time for the fall semester.
- All incoming Fall 2023 students will be required to be compliant with BU’s COVID-19 vaccination requirements prior to enrollment. Information can be found here.
- BU Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine/GMS require a Medical History and Physical Report Form and proof of immunizations for all new students.
- Students in clinical programs (Bioimaging, Clinical Research, Genetic Counseling and Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine) should complete the medical, dental, or clinical medical sciences student form.
- All other graduate programs should complete the Graduate or Transfer Student form.
- Completed forms can be uploaded to the Patient Connect Portal.
- Any questions should be directed to Student Health Services at 617-353-3575.
Please refer to the Fall 2023 Orientation webpage under the Required Documents/Trainings section for more details on required paperwork for all incoming students.
Student Discounts and BU Fun Facts
Check out where to get student discounts as well as some fun facts about BU here.
- All incoming students are required to submit a final transcript, degree certificate, or other official documents showing all previous degrees conferred either electronically, directed to email@example.com or via regular mail.
- If you have not already submitted the required documents, please do so immediately.
- If your degree was conferred in May or will be conferred in September 2023, please submit all required documentation no later than September 1, 2023.
- Official transcripts show the seal of the registrar of university, the graduating degree title and the year degree was conferred on, along with grades for all the courses taken over the course of study.
- International students should arrange for degrees from foreign institutions to be translated and certified by evaluation services such as WES (www.wes.org).
- Transcripts should be submitted electronically, directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or via regular mail to:
Graduate Medical Sciences Admissions
Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine
72 East Concord Street, L-317
Boston, MA 02118
Note: If you are unable to submit official transcripts by October 15, 2023, you will not be allowed to register for Spring semester courses at GMS.
Note: Students who have received undergraduate & graduate degrees from Boston University will only need to request only one transcript, since both degrees will be listed on one transcript.
Tuition & Financial Aid
- Matriculating students who wish to apply for financial assistance must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Visit the FAFSA website to access the application. For assistance in navigating the FAFSA process, watch the Financial Aid FAFSA Tutorial playlist.
- Once your FAFSA is filed, you will need to complete the online Entrance Counseling and electronically sign a Master Promissory Note at https://www.bumc.bu.edu/osfs/applying-for-aid/gms/ For further information regarding the financial aid application process, please go to the Fall 2023 or Spring 2024 GMS Aid Applicant Requirement Dropdown here.
- Many full-time degree candidates will need to find an alternative loan program to supplement the Federal Direct Loan program. Review these options for additional loans and scholarships. GMS also has a list of funding opportunities to consider as well. The 2023/2024 Graduate PLUS Loan application is available here. Student Financial Services (SFS) starts releasing financial aid awards approximately 60 days before the start of the Fall 2023 semester.
- Review sample Program Tuition Costs here
- The Cost of Attendance page provides a breakdown of all billed, and unbilled expenses.
- Review the Cost of Attendance pages for specific programs below:
- Oral Health Sciences
- Physician Assistant
- For more information on important dates and deadline, check the academic calendar
- Please update your mailing address on Student Link to ensure BU can connect with you accurately.
Please direct your financial aid questions to Student Financial Services (SFS), at email@example.com or by phone (617) 358-6550. Visit their contact us webpage to connect with a representative in-person or virtually. The SFS office is located in the Robinson building 4th Floor (72 E. Concord St, B401).
Virtual Tour of GMS