Application Fee Waiver
You may request a fee waiver by filling out a
(1) on the basis of financial need,
(2) as a member of a special program including the US military,
(3) if you have extenuating circumstances,
- Be sure to indicate the degree program(s) to which you wish to apply.
- The criteria for each category and requested documentation are listed below and all requests are confidential.
Fee waivers are only available for US citizens and
- This process must be completed before you apply online.
- Fee waivers are approved on a case-by-case basis, and not all fee waiver requests will be granted.
- You will be notified via email when your request for the fee waiver has been approved or denied.
- If your request is not approved, you must pay the fee via credit card before your application can be completed and you are eligible to receive an admission decision.
- One fee waiver per student per academic year.
- Fee waivers are granted via a coupon code. The code can be used to apply to a single program only. A $95.00 fee is required to apply to each additional program.
- A fee waiver will not be retroactively applied to an application that has already been paid for and submitted.
Current or former members of the following populations/affiliations are eligible for fee waivers. You should show documentation that you are a current member or a member within the last 2 years. If you have been offered a fee waiver after attending a recruitment event or through correspondence with a GMS staff member, please write to email@example.com and include that information with your request.
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)
- The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Millennium Scholar
- City Year
- Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP)
- DAAD Exchange Scholar
- Fulbright Program / IIE / Amideast
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers
- Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship Program
- NIH/NIGMS- MBRS, NIH/NIGMS-RISE program
- McNair Scholars Program
- MIT Laureates and Leaders
- National Association of African American Honors Programs (NAAAHP)
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (oSTEM)
- Peace Corps
- Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP) scholar
- Science Without Borders
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Teach for America
- The Posse Foundation
- United States Military
Extenuating Circumstance Fee Waiver:
- If you do not meet the criteria for a financial or special programs fee waiver and you feel your current circumstances warrant a fee waiver for your graduate school application, please fill out the Fee Waiver Request form and check the Extenuating Circumstance Fee Waiver box. Include supporting material such as letters from your university or other documents explaining your extenuating circumstances.
- Be sure to mark out any sensitive personal data such as social security numbers.
- Please note that fee waivers are approved on a case-by-case basis and not all fee waiver requests will be granted.
- This process must be completed before you apply online, as applications submitted online without payment will be placed in a pending file until a payment is received or a fee waiver is granted.