Research, Thesis, Capstone and Dissertation Information
General Research, Thesis & Dissertation Information
Boston University Libraries are pleased to announce that processing fees for submitting theses and dissertations to Mugar Memorial Library may now be paid online using a variety of credit card options. The payment link is available on the Research Guide for Writers of Theses & Dissertations. The submission process is now completely online. When graduate students submit a thesis or dissertation to the Library via the online ETD Administrator, they are now able to complete the process with an online payment. If you have any questions about this service you can contact Brendan McDermott, Thesis/Dissertation Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 353-9387.
PhD Completion of Degree Checklist
- Mugar Library Webpage for Thesis and Dissertations
- GMS Faculty List
- IRB 101 for BUMC Graduate Students IRB Submission with Mary-Tara Roth, Director, Clinical Research Resources Office (CRRO). View Video Recording or Slides.
- Research Support
- RCR Training
- Video Tutorials for Thesis & Dissertation Electronic Submission
- The Mugar Library requires that a copyright page be added to all theses/dissertations. Please add a copyright page after the title page and include it on the Table of Contents. Make sure you re-number all the preliminary pages appropriately. Adding the copyright page does not mean you must register for copyright. You can find a sample of the copyright page in the Masters Thesis Prepage Template (updated Jan/2014).
- Sample Embargo Letter Requesting Circulation Restriction for Thesis or Dissertation: Most students do not request delayed circulation however if desired (due to special circumstances such as a pending patent), you will need to submit an Embargo letter requesting Circulation Restriction – embargo options are one year or two years. Embargo letter must be signed by student and primary reader – add an additional line for GMS Provost signature and submit to the GMS Registrar with the final thesis/dissertation paperwork by the deadline. Signature from the GMS Provost will be obtained by the GMS Registrar.
Thesis Electronic & Dissertation DocuSign Signatures
The Deadline: to submit a thesis/dissertation will be set by the GMS Registrar. Do not submit prior to Dissertation/Thesis format review has been done by GMS Registrar.
PhD and MD/PhD students graduating and needing to collect electronic signatures from their dissertation readers on their Readers’ Approval page: GMS in collaboration with BU Libraries, has launched an initiative to simplify the collection of electronic signatures.
DocuSign for the use of PhD & MD/PhD Students Only: Once a doctoral student has successfully completed their defense, they will be instructed to fill out a webform to initiate the signing of their readers’ approval page through DocuSign. The student will enter their name, BU email address, and then the contact information for their readers. Their readers will then be sent emails from DocuSign, all at the same time, letting them know to sign the form. Once the form has been completely signed, a copy is automatically sent to GMS Registrars, the Libraries, and to the student.
Please go to the following link: Docusign for PhD & MD/PhD Dissertations
Electronic Signatures For MA/MS Students: Provisional acceptance by Boston University Libraries of electronic signatures in lieu of original signatures on the separately submitted and signed Readers’ Approval pages through electronic signatures or signature images have been extended for theses and dissertations for the January 2023 graduation deadline. There are several options for signature, such as electronic via Adobe Acrobat or inserting a signature image. The students should work with their first and second readers to find the best solution and follow guidelines sent by the GMS Registrar’s Office GMSRegistrar@bu.edu.
Create professional looking presentations fast using think-cell.
MD/PhD and PhD Information
Master's Thesis & Capstone Information
- Masters Thesis Template(updated October 2022)
- NOTE: The Research Guide For Writers Of Theses (#1 above) There is no longer a word limit to the length of the abstract, but please be concise.
- NOTE: Minimum length for MAMS theses is 40 pages (research thesis) or 45 pages (literature thesis), excluding the Prepages, Appendices, References and Vita.
- Oral Health Sciences Capstone & Thesis Information
- Biomedical Research Technologies Capstone Information
- Clinical Research Capstone Project, Practicum and Directed Study Information
- Health Professions Education Practicum and Capstone Guidelines
- Genetic Counseling Capstone Project Information
BU Open Access Information and ProQuest
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses
- Theses and Dissertations electronically submitted in 2014 or later are now searchable via Proquest
Required Plagiarism Check Prior to Thesis/Dissertation Submission
All capstone, thesis and dissertation documents must be scanned using Turnitin plagiarism detection software prior to final submission to your Program/ Department and the Registrar.
- Turnitin similarity report must be approved by your mentor, advisor, first reader (BU faculty) or external committee member(s) depending on the GMS program.
- Turnitin similarity report must be submitted to your program director prior to thesis/dissertation submission to the registrar
- This is the student’s responsibility.
Turnitin Directions: Turnitin compares your work with existing online publications and allows you to confidentially check your written work for potential plagiarism. With a close inspection of the Turnitin results, you may also identify incorrect quotations and missing citations. All students have access to the online tool throughout their time in GMS. Directions and tips for usage can be found here.
Google Doc Turnitin Draft Coach: If you use Google Doc for writing your paper, you also have the option to use Google Doc Turnitin Draft Coach for checking the initial drafts of your work. However, note that as a requirement for submitting your thesis or dissertation, you should generate and download the Turnitin similarity report through this GMS Plagiarism Check Blackboard course.