We are glad you are interested in applying to the program and are excited to receive your application! Please read the information below before applying through the online application portal.
In addition to completing the Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine program’s online application, prospective students must also submit:
- Non-refundable $95.00 application fee.
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended (including study abroad and all transfer credits). Students must complete a baccalaureate degree prior to entry into the program.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to the likelihood of your academic and career success
- Written personal statement that describes your qualifications and objectives for the program
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (for applicants from countries where English is not the language of instruction). If an international student has already obtained a degree in the United States, this requirement is waived.
As of November 1, 2018, the Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine program no longer requires that applicants submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores nor Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores as part of their application. Applicants may still choose to submit GRE scores if they feel they may strengthen their application. The BU ETS code is 3087.
TOEFL score requirements are:
- Our code is 3087
- Paper-based test: 550
- Internet-based test
- Reading: 21
- Listening: 18
- Speaking: 23
- Writing: 22
IELTS score requirements are:
- Band score: 7.0
We are committed to improving the diversity of our profession and encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
The Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine program uses a rolling admissions process, starting in September and lasting until May. We strongly encourage students to apply early, as we accept students only until slots for the new academic year are filled. After applying to the program, selected applicants are offered an invitation to interview.
***Please note, we have extended the final application deadline for our 2020-21 incoming class. The final deadline is now May 1, 2020. (Update as of March 18, 2020).
All applicants applying to the Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine Program must complete an interview.
Formal interviews begin in January. Interviews are by invitation only
***In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, all interviews as of March 11, 2020 will be conducted online via Zoom (Update as of March 11, 2020).
During the 2019-20 academic year, we will be hosting the following online and in-person information session events for interested applicants to learn more about our program and ask questions.
Online via Facebook Live: Tuesdays @ 12:00 – 12:30 p.m. EST on:
- September 4
- October 1
- November 5
- December 3
- January 7
- February 4
Post your questions on our Facebook page ahead of time! A recording will be made available after each session.