As a current Oral Health Sciences student, here you will find GMS forms and information to help guide you through your academic career at Boston University. This page provides access to important information regarding registration and coursework, program calendars, student support services, faculty advising and assistance with your thesis/capstone and dental school applications.
Calendars & Program Timeline
Program Start Date: July 29, 2021 Orientation
Classes Start Date: August 2, 2021
Program End Date: September 25, 2022
Capstone Due Date: August 8, 2022 (July 15 for students entering dental school)
Spring semester for OHS Students: January 3, 2022
Commencement Weekend: May 19-22, 22
- Graduation Calendar
- GMS calendar
- Student Life & Wellness Calendar
- Professional Life Calendar
- BU and Graduation Calendars
Since OHS students take several DMD courses, they follow irregular start and end course dates. (The tentative dates are for the academic year are as follows. Orientation is usually the last week of July.
- OH 730 Physiology: from August – December
- OH 751 Biochemistry: from August – December
- OH 770 Evidence Based Dentistry: from September – December
- OH 700 Pathology: January – May
- OH 731 Physiology: January – Feb
- OH 740 Microbiology: January – May
- Other GMS courses: January – May (Infectious Diseases, Head & Neck Anatomy, Prevention & Oral Health Promotion in Dentistry, Biomedical Information, Biostatistics)
Handbook, Forms & Policies
Mentoring, Tutoring & Academic Support
- Students are advised by both Dr. Davies (Director) and Dr. Kurosawa (Assistant Director) who advise on study and time management skills, assist with registration, and thesis and capstone mentoring. Additionally, the program supports your dental school goals by providing mock interviews, personal statement critique, and letters of recommendations as well as other advice for a successful dental admissions cycle.
- Review sessions are provided by a TA/Group Tutor on Monday and Tuesday evenings throughout both semesters for the DMD courses for all OHS. This sessions are optional. Sessions are taught by an OHS alum who is a D1 student at BUGSDM.
- One-on-one tutoring is available 2hours/wk for any OHS student who struggles in a course. This is covered by OHS and continues throughout the semester.
- Occasionally group tutoring is also provided for students who need work on test taking or work on larger conceptual content that is better studied in small groups led by a tutor.
- All tutors, are current D1 students who are OHS alumni who received advanced standing in a particular course
- Near-Peer Mentoring is a large part of the success of the OHS program. OHS students who have completed the program and matriculated to BU’s Goldman School of Dental Medicine are excited to give back to current OHS students. Current mentoring opportunities includes programs like DentMent which helps students adjust to the rigor of the OHS program by providing guidance with time management, test taking and study skills while also helping with adjusting to Boston as well as Big Sib program which is similar but more social. These mentors along with the tutors serve to support current OHS and provide invaluable resources whether social or academic.
Students & Student Services
- GMS Students Webpage
- GMS Community Catalyst Center C3
- Disability & Access Services
- Resource Guide by Student Health Services
Employment & Assistantships
Diversity & Inclusion
Student Life & Wellness
- Student Groups in GMS
- Student Life and Wellness
- Student Groups in GSDM open to OHS students
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry, BU Chapter (AAPHD) (email: email@example.com)
- Asian Dental Student Organization (ADSO) (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hispanic Student Dental Association, BU Chapter (HSDA) (email: email@example.com)
- Muslim Student Association (MSA) (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Persian Student Dental Association (PSDA) (email: email@example.com)
- Student National Dental Association, BU Chapter (SNDA) (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Wellness in GMS