The HEM Program is a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) environment. Each student needs to be aware of his/her usage requirements and should be somewhat self-sufficient with his/her own equipment and infrastructure requirements.
A modern laptop with integrated webcam is highly recommended because so much of our course of study is dependent on our Virtual Classroom environment. We are defining a “modern” laptop as any laptop purchased within the past 3 years and based on the Intel Core i-series of processors (or AMD equivalent). Some recommended laptops meeting these requirements are:
- Macbook Air or Pro with Core i-series Processor, MacOS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or later
- Windows Intel Core i-5 or Core i-7 series CPU or AMD equivalent – Windows 10
- Minimum: Dual Core i-Series CPU or AMD equivalent – Windows 10
NOTE: We do not support any platform running low-power, mobile-class, processors (Intel Atom, nVidia Tegra, ARM, and similar processors), Windows 8 or Chromebooks – including Microsoft Surface Tablets.
Reliable Broadband Connection
We also require students attending class remotely to have a reliable broadband connection to the internet.
Reliable Broadband connectivity includes:
- Fiber (ATT Uverse, Verizon FiOS, Other systems)
- Cable (Xfinity-Comcast, Time-Warner, Charter, others)
- Upper-tier DSL (Local telcos – Basic DSL is not robust enough to support web conferencing reliably)
NOTE: Service varies with provider. Certain degradations in service may be the result of bandwidth caps and data throttling by ISPs. Check with your provider to see if they impose monthly data caps.
- 3G and 4G cellular data connections are not reliable broadband connections.
- 4G LTE connections seem to work fine, but should not be depended upon as primary access due to data caps and possible throttling.
Because of the nature of multi-session web conferencing, we require the use of headphones during class to reduce the incidence of feedback through the computer speakers. For an optimal experience a headset with an integrated noise-canceling microphone is recommended, but not required.
Students may obtain Microsoft Office for Windows and Mac through the University’s IT Department at no charge on the IT Help Center’s Download page. You will have to provide proof of eligibility.