Equity, Vitality, and Inclusion
VISION | We seek to build and sustain an organizational culture that affirms and values diverse identities, shares power equitably, reflects the diversity of the community we serve, and fosters a healthy and supportive environment where we all can thrive.
MISSION | We provide strategic leadership for campus-wide gender equity, racial equity, and professional vitality pursuits. We develop holistic guidelines and practical tools and coordinate initiatives that promote structural change and enhance institutional alignment.
In order to create meaningful culture change, we:
• center experiences of underrepresented and structurally marginalized groups
• promote decision making that incorporates the voices of clinicians + staff
• analyze + interpret disaggregated data to drive actions toward equity and vitality
We are comprised of three faculty-led advisory councils (Diversity and Inclusion, Wellness and Professional Vitality, and Women’s Leadership) who engage faculty and key stakeholders in inclusive processes to implement effective strategies.
In the News
- NEW! Three Decades of Demographic Trends Among Academic Emergency Physicians | J Am Coll Emerg Physicians Open
- NEW! Mistreatment Experiences, Protective Workplace Systems, and Occupational Stress in Physicians | JAMA
- More than 170 members of the BMC, BUMC, and BUMG community joined the Glossary for Culture Transformation keynote and panel on January 26, 2022. Check out the recording here.
- 26 Hospital Leaders on the Most Important Change They’ve Made to Address Burnout | Becker Hospital Review
- Anti-Racism Committee Works to Improve Cancer Care and Research | HealthCity
- BUMC Focuses on Language to Start Combating Racial Inequities | BU Daily Free Press
- Employee Resilience Program Tackles Burnout Caused by the Pandemic | HealthCity
- How a Shared Language Can Jumpstart Cultural Transformation in a Teaching Hospital | HealthCity
- How Can Leaders in Academic Medicine Make Career Advancement More Equitable? | HealthCity
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine 2021 Action Collaborative to Prevent Sexual Harassment in Higher Education poster session on our Review Based Guidelines for the Equitable Appointment of Leadership Roles
- AMA Joy in Medicine Gold Award, recognizing BMC’s commitment to clinician well-being. BMC is one of five institutions and the only safety net organization achieving gold status.
- $50,000 Prize for Enhancing Faculty Gender Diversity from the Office of Research on Women’s Health at the National Institutes of Health
- $50,000 Electronic Health Record Use Metrics Research Grant to further ongoing research related to EHR use and clinician wellbeing
- BMC Diversity
- Boston University Diversity & Inclusion
- Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine Diversity and Inclusion Office
- BUMC Faculty Development
- Graduate Medical Education Diversity & Inclusion
- Healthcare Professional Wellness Academic Consortium (PWAC)
|Equity: The state in which differences in life outcomes are not predicted by one’s race, sex and gender, and other dimensions of identity, with specific emphasis on populations bearing the burden of inequities (e.g., people of color, women, LGBTQIA+ people). Equity is both a process and an outcome.||Vitality: Professional vitality is a meaningful and productive work life, where people are able to reach their fullest professional potential. This means creating a workplace that invests in the emotional, physical, and professional wellbeing of its members, where all are supported so they can do their chosen work.||Inclusion: The fundamental and authentic integration of historically and currently excluded individuals and/or groups into positions, processes, activities, and decision and policy making in a way that shares power, values input and engenders belonging.|