Student Life & Wellness
The Boston University Medical Campus is located in Boston’s South End, a historic neighborhood famous for its elegant Victorian brownstones and vibrant community, surrounded by shops, restaurants, nightlife and a thriving arts community. GMS students find limitless opportunities both on and off campus.
- Work Study Opportunities
- Reserve Study Space in the GMS Suite
- COVID-19 Resources
- Student Updates & Wellness Resources
Local Area to BUMC
- Biomedical PhD Student Organization (BPSO)
The Biomedical PhD Student Organization (BPSO) aims to build and strengthen the community among PhD programs at BUMC and to cultivate camaraderie among Biomedical Science PhD students.
- BU Biotech Consulting Club (BBCC) The BU Biotech Consulting Club is for advance degree students at Boston University to work on case studies in life sciences and biotech, and provide career development toward the consulting industry.
- Graduate Medical Sciences Student Organization (GMSSO)
The Graduate Medical Sciences Student Organization (GMSSO) organizes volunteer and social events in addition to advocating for the student population.
- Minority and International Scientists Organization (MISO)
The Minority and International Scientists Organization provides a supportive and enriched environment to the diverse population of Boston University scientists via various social and academic events.
- Science and Technology in Public Policy (STEPUP)
The Science and Technology in Public Policy group at Boston University is committed to fostering a community of scientists engaged in public policy.
- Student Advisory Board
The GMS Student Advisory Board meets a few times per semester to discuss pressing issues with the GMS Staff that impact all graduate student life at BUMC.
- Women’s Professional Development Committee (WPDC)
The Women’s Professional Development Committee provides a supportive space to host professional development opportunities for graduate-level women in science at Boston University through establishing and cultivating a network of exemplary mentorship with women in a diversity of scientific careers.
- Other resources:
Groups at Charles River Campus
- Graduate Student Organization (GSO)
- Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (GWISE)
- Underrepresented Graduate Student Organization (UGSO)
Interested in starting a new group?
Submit the New Student Organization Application to GMS Student Affairs (email@example.com).
Resources for Student Organization Leaders
Each student organization will be provided a staff or faculty member to act as a liaison to facilitate events and planning. Please review the guidelines that clarify the Professional Relationship Between Liaison and Student Organization.
Student Organization Events
All student organizations planning an event MUST submit the Student Organization Event Request Form at least 2 weeks prior to the event. GMS will be able to assist you best by early planning. If your group would like an event advertised, please fill out our GMS News and Event Submission Form.
All student organizations hosting an event must adhere to the Guidelines for Financial Reimbursement for Alcohol and Food at GMS Events.
All student organizations will participate in an allocation meeting in spring semester to propose a budget for the upcoming school year. Each student organization will complete the Student Organization Budget Document in advance and submit to GMS Student Affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org). When creating a budget proposal, student organizations are required to include estimated room reservation costs. These costs can be found in the Room Reservation Estimates Document.
Allocation meetings will include the following representatives:
- GMS Associate Provost
- GMS Student Affairs Office representative
- GMS Financial Manager
- Current student organization President and Treasurer
- Future student organization President and Treasurer (if applicable)
- GMS liaison (optional)
- Best Buddies Massachusetts
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital Volunteer Opportunities
- Boston Cares
- Boston Center Refugee Health and Human Rights
- Boston Healthcare for the Homeless Program
- Boston Medical Center
- Boston Medical Center Reach out and Read
- BU Community Service Center
- Community Service
- Doing Good Together
- Great Boston Food Bank
- Haley House
- Pine Street Inn
- Rosie’s place
- St. Francis House
- Unite for Sight
- Women’s Lunch Place
For more outreach opportunities see here