Broadening Experience in Scientific Training – Beginning Enhancement Track (BEST BET) is funded by a National Science Foundation (NSF) initiative called Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (INCLUDES). BEST BET is a collaborative effort that draws upon the expertise of five research-intensive institutions across the country [Boston University; Cornell University; University of Colorado, Denver; University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (UNC-Chapel Hill); Wayne State University]. The goal of the program is to focus on career exploration to engage traditionally underrepresented undergraduate students studying science.
A goal of the program is to build capacity of minority-serving undergraduate institutions to provide career resources that will increase underrepresented minority (URM) student awareness of and motivation for pursuing STEM careers/advanced degrees. The program will also offer shadowing experiences (or “site visits”) that will provide undergraduates with the opportunity to attend a multi-day event at one of our partner sites during the spring, summer or fall semester. Each BEST BET partner site has put together a unique schedule that will enable participants to do more than just attend a seminar or panel discussion.
BEST BET Site Visits will:
- Introduce students to “life as a PhD student”
- Offer opportunities to explore career options with students and alumni
- Help students work on skill enhancements and learn about research experiences for undergraduates at the host site.
Past BEST BET Activities at BU:
Career Exploration Panel at Xavier University, June 2018
- Fadie T. Coleman, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Sciences & Education
Director of the Biomedical Laboratory & Clinical Sciences (BLCS) Program
- Chinaemere (Chino) Igwebuike, MD/PhD Candidate, Boston University School of Medicine
- Stanley O. King II, Ph.D., Vice President of Corporate Development, Emulate Inc.
- Portia Singh, PhD, Senior Research Scientist, Philips Research North America
Career Exploration Panel at Boston University, October 2018
- Chinaemere Igwebuike, MD/PhD Candidate
- Luis Ramirez, PhD Student, Neuroscience
- Michael Rosario, PhD Student in Neuroscience
- Kiloni Quiles-Franco, PhD Student, Biomedical Sciences
- Alicia Wooten, PhD Candidate, Molecular and Translational Medicine