About the Program:
The MS in Healthcare Emergency Management prepares individuals to work across the spectrum of emergency and crisis management focusing on multiple areas of biomedical sciences and healthcare, along with practical experience. The program consists of a 36-credit, 12-month full-time course of study, with a part-time option.
The Masters program can be completed in-person or online through our virtual classroom. Our virtual classroom experience is a real-time distance learning environment. Based on Adobe® Connect™ web conferencing, our students are able to attend class from wherever they happen to be. The virtual classroom gives students the flexibility to attend graduate school without the major up heal in their lives that relocation would involve. Students can keep their urgent jobs, homes, and living situations while completing the HEM degree.
An article appearing in the November-December 2013 issue of Emergency Manager looks at the value of a degree in the field of EM and indicates that hiring trends are moving in the direction of giving preference to individuals with specific degrees in emergency management over more traditional choices from public safety departments who have no degree.
The BU Healthcare Emergency Management program is innovative in several aspects. From its focus on healthcare environments, to the hands on training in exercise development and incident command, this program provides students with a comprehensive background for facing the challenges of a career in emergency/disaster preparedness. Add to this the blended learning environment of our virtual classroom, which allows students to attend class in real time from across the country, and you have a truly unique program.
- 1 and 2 year tracks
- Classes taught by recognized experts in the fields of: Emergency Management; Homeland Security; Disaster Relief; Incident Command; Exercise Design
- Blended learning environment allows students to attend class at our Boston campus or from almost anywhere through our virtual classroom
- Active participation in a variety of real-world exercises
- Internships and practica provide students with valuable emergency management experience critical to future employment opportunities.
- Paid internships (up to $15,000) available.
Simon A. Chernack : Thursday, November 9, 2017
Time 10:00 a.m. Place: Hiebert Lounge
Title: The impact of technology on emergency management