1. What do you like most about BMC?   The people at BMC are some of the most passionate advocates for their patients I have ever met. Everyone at BMC is proud of what the institution does and what the institution stands for. In the highly competitive elite academic environment of Boston medicine, BMC shines not only for the scholarly contributions and the usual trappings of academic medicine, but because of the heart and soul of the people here.
  2. What is the best career lesson you’ve learned so far?  Do 80% of the work and take 20% of the credit.
  3. Do you have any projects you’re currently working on? Too many, but they’re all awesome:  Kidney Precision Medicine Project, Boston Medical Center Kidney Biobank, Crystallopathies in CKD, Intraocular VEGF Antagonists and CKD Progression, APOL1 interventional trials, Biomarkers of Nephrotoxicity, Functional MRI of Kidneys, Kidney Physiological Functional Reserve… then I’m also trying to support our outstanding faculty in their many roles as educators, clinicians, innovators, and investigators.
  4. What is your vision for your research for the fellows?  Nephrology is the most exciting subspecialty in medicine to me because fundamental clinical problems still do not have adequate solutions or answers. How should we treat acute kidney injury? What causes chronic kidney disease? Is the urine sediment actually useful in diagnosing patients? Should we be using calcitriol in patients when there’s so little evidence?  Practically every patient I see inspires a question that could lead to a research proposal. I want our fellows to feel that same passion for improving patient care by engaging in research. I want them to question why we do what we do. A research-focused mindset makes you a better doctor for your patients, even if you don’t end up doing research full time.
  5. Where did you attend Medical School? Yale.
  6. Why did you choose to attend Medical School? I absolutely love being a doctor. There’s no job that could bring me the same fulfillment on so many levels.
  7. What do you do when you’re not working?  I adore my family and try to spend as much quality time with them as possible (wife, 17 yr old daughter, 14 yr old son). I like to run and used to box (against a heavy bag) until I injured my shoulders.  I also enjoy reading and have reasonably diverse interests in both fiction and non-fiction.
  8. Do you have a secret talent?  I am able to pronounce many words backwards, pretty quickly. I thought I was the only one who did this for fun, and my children find this to be my main talent in life. But recently I’ve seen young kids on YouTube who are way better than me, which was devastating.
  9. What is your favorite restaurant in Boston? Number 9 Park
  10. Do you have any words of wisdom? Family first.
  11. Is there anything else you would like to share? This goes for anyone at any stage in their career or education: make sure to find a mentor or mentors that you trust. Seek their advice often.