Summer Registration: PhD and MD/PhD
Students in the Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine
MD/PhD Students in BUSM: Medical students in year I, II, III & IV should register through the Medical School.
Online Registration Procedures
- Meet with advisor to discuss summer registration and degree requirements.
- Students completing degree for the August 2024 graduation must submit a Certified Full-Time form – Continuing Study Full-time via the online GMS Student Forms– Summer 2, 2024 (Research credits registration is NOT required)
- PhD Full-time students who are engaged in full-time research during the summer and are continuing in the Fall 2024 semester should submit the online PhD Summer Research Status Form by April 24, 2024 to ensure June stipend is issued on time. Indicate Summer 2 when uploading the form via GMS Student Forms.
Important Links and Forms
- Current Course Offerings
- Calendar Link for Pertinent Deadlines
- Student Forms
- Certified Full Time (CFT) Form (PhD students completing degree for August graduation)
- PhD Summer Research Form (PhD students continuing in the fall semester)
- Class Adjustments – Add/Drop form
- MD/PhD Program Transition Form
- Withdrawal and Leave of Absence Form
- Petition Forms
- Petition – PhD Extension of Time
- Diploma and Dissertation Information and Graduation
International Students: Please visit the ISSO site for additional information
Completion of Graduate Study: All Graduate Medical Sciences degree students must register for two consecutive semesters prior to completion of their degree. All final documents, including the dissertation (if applicable), must be submitted during the last registered semester according to the deadlines on the graduation calendar, and will not be accepted unless all other coursework and requirements of the specific degree have been completed.
Class Add/Drop: Please pay close attention to the add/drop deadlines.
Adding a Course: Students may add a course via on-line registration or with the Class Add/Drop Form for Summer 1, through May 30, 2024 and Summer 2, through July 8, 2024. Some GMS courses are restricted from on-line registration. For these courses, students must submit a Class Add/Drop Form via GMS Student Forms.
Dropping a Course(s): Students may drop a course via on-line registration following the approval of their advisor without academic penalty or a “W” grade for standard courses (Summer 1, by May 30, 2024 and Summer 2, by July 8, 2024).
- Students who choose to drop a course after the designated drop deadline must obtain both the instructor and advisor signatures, submit a Class Add/Drop Form and will receive a “W” grade on their transcript. Drop with a (W) by June 13, 2024 for Summer 1, and July 24, 2024 for Summer 2. After the deadlines students may not drop standard courses.
- To add or drop a non‐standard course, students should use MyBU Student Portal to view pertinent add/drop deadlines because non‐standard classes have a customized drop schedule.
- Students should check their student account as they add and drop classes after the payment deadline and notify the GMS Registrar if their student status changes from part‐time (0‐11 credits) to full‐time (12‐18 credits) (or vice-versa) in order to have their certification code corrected.
Federal Financial Aid and Registration
- Students may not use federal financial aid towards courses that will not count towards their degree
Summer Research Registration For PhD Students: PhD students who are engaged in full-time research during the summer as an essential component of their PhD degree program are eligible to register for Summer Research registration status. The purpose is to provide a no-cost mechanism whereby graduate students who are engaged in academic research during the summer can be appropriately recognized as students for purposes of loan eligibility and tax considerations. A student seeking Summer Research status, should complete the PhD Summer Research Status form on the GMS Student Form Page online submission. Online form must be submitted prior to the start of the Summer Session II.
Note: This does not apply to MD/PhD students in the Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine who will be doing the required summer 8-10 week lab rotation.
BUSM I AND BUSM II: If you plan to transition to research studies in the Fall 2024 semester, please complete the MD/PhD Transition Form on the GMS Student Forms online submission. If you are doing an alternative curriculum, please notify the MD/PhD Program Director.
Address Change, Payment, Stipends, and Health Insurance
Stipend Checks: All PhD students who are currently in the research years need to register by April 24, 2024 to ensure that a June stipend payment is issued on time. You should also check with your departmental administrator to make sure the necessary paperwork is in order.
Financial Aid Vouchers, Fellowships, Scholarships and Deadlines: If you have been awarded a scholarship or a fellowship, please contact Student Financial Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible to establish your financial aid awards, prior to the payment deadlines.
Payment & Payment Deadlines : Payments are made to Boston University, Student Accounting Services, 881 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215. Payment options for degree candidates are listed on the Student Accounting Services . Continuing students are expected to use the Student Account Inquiry function on MyBU Student Portal to check the balance due on their student account.
Email Communications: Please be reminded that all important GMS communications are e-mailed to your BU e-mail account. It is important that you check your BU e-mail regularly. For those of you who wish to have your e-mail forwarded from your BU account to a different account, please be sure your e-mail forwarding is functioning.
Address Changes: Update change of address on MyBU Student Portal.
Withdrawal or Taking a Leave of Absence
Withdrawing means to officially drop ALL courses. MD/PhD students, please see Dr. Vickery Trinkaus-Randall. All Ph.D. Students should discuss their situation with their Department Chair/ Program Director and advisor. Submit the Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form to the GMS Registrar. Students must return within one year of requesting a LOA to be reinstated without reapplying. In addition, all PhD students requesting a LOA and /or withdrawal from GMS should meet with the Associate Provost, Dr. Jamie McKnight. Appointments can be arranged by calling 617-358-9554. Additional expansion of the rules governing leave of absences and withdrawal can be found here. Please follow the refund calendar for key dates.
Please contact the GMS Registrar’s Office (GMSRegistrar@bu.edu) or stop by the GMS office L-309 for assistance with registration. You should be prepared to pay for summer courses at the time of registration.