Summer Registration: Master’s
Online Registration Procedures
- Meet with your advisor to discuss course selection.
- Log into MyBU Student Portal using your BU login name, Kerberos password and make course selections. No advising code is needed for summer registration.
- Students enrolled in less than 12 credits who may be eligible to be certified full-time, should submit a Certified Full Time (CFT) Form.
- After registration is complete, verify your schedule on MyBU Student Portal as well as on Blackboard.
- International Students: Please visit the ISSO site for additional information.
Important Links and Forms
- Current Course Offerings
- Calendar Link for Pertinent Deadlines
- Student Forms
- Certified Full Time (CFT) Form (Less than 12 credits)
- Class Add/Drop form)
- Withdrawal and Leave of Absence Form
- Petition Forms
- Diploma, Thesis Information and Graduation
- MAMS and OHS Specific Forms
You should be prepared to pay for summer courses at the time of registration.
Completion of Graduate Study: All students must register for two consecutive semesters prior to completion of their degree. All final documents, including the thesis (if applicable), must be submitted during the last registered semester according to the deadlines on the graduation calendar and will not be accepted unless all other coursework and requirements of the specific degree have been completed.
Continuing Students Certified Full-Time – WITH Courses: All students continuing in a program who will be registering for less than 12 credits due to the completion of other degree requirements, such as research, must follow the registration guidelines above and meet with their Advisor/Program Director to discuss course selection. A Certified Full-Time (CFT) Form must be submitted via the GMS website Student Page online form submission. Students must indicate the type of independent work to be completed during the semester. Please note that specific details of objectives are required including hours per week and supervisor or the request may be denied. Visa regulations require that most International students maintain full-time status either by course registration or by certification.
Continuing Students Certified Full-Time – WITHOUT Courses: All students who are no longer taking coursework and are working on their thesis or other degree requirements, must register as a continuing student zero credits. A Certified Full-Time (CFT) Form must be submitted. This form must be submitted via the GMS Student Page online form submission. Students should indicate the type of independent work to be completed during the semester. Please note that specific details of objectives are required including hours per week and supervisor or the request may be denied. Visa regulations require that most International students maintain full-time status either by course registration or by certification.
All part-time continuing students may register on-line via the MyBU Student Portal Online Registration for course#: Summer 1 – GMS MS 983 S A and Summer 2 – GMS MS 984 S B1
Class Add/Drop Form: The Class Add/Drop Form should be used to add or drop a class. Please pay close attention to the add/drop deadlines.
Adding a Course(s): Students may add a course via online registration or with the GMS online Class Add/Drop Form through May 30, 2023 for Summer I and July 11, 2023 for Summer II. Some GMS courses are restricted from online registration. For these courses, students must submit GMS online Class Add/Drop Form.
Dropping a Course(s):
- Any adjustments to course loads may increase or decrease the tuition due for the semester. Please contact GMSRegistrar@bu.edu regarding tuition adjustments.
- Dropping all classes constitutes withdrawing from the university. A LOA/Withdrawal Form must be submitted.
- Students may drop a course via online registration following the approval of their advisor without academic penalty or a (W) grade no later than: Summer 1 – by May 30, 2023 and Summer 2 – by July 11, 2023.
- Students who choose to drop a course after the designated date, June 15, 2023 for Summer I and July 28, 2023 for Summer II must submit a Class Adjustment Form. Students will receive a (W) grade on their transcript. After the deadlines students may not drop standard courses.
- To add or drop a non‐standard course, students should use MyBU Student Portal to view pertinent add/drop deadlines because non‐standard classes have a customized drop schedule.
- If your student status changes from part‐time (0‐11 credits) to full‐time (12‐18 credits) or vice-versa in order to have tuition charges corrected notify GMSRegistrar@bu.edu.
- For Financial Aid adjustment student must notify Student Financial Services, at 617-358-6550 or at email@example.com.
Federal Financial Aid and Registration
- Students may not use federal financial aid towards courses that will not count towards their degree
Address Change, Payment, Billing, and Health Insurance
Financing Options: It is important to register and apply for loans early. Please visit the GMS website for financing options, downloads & information. Student making any class adjustment to their summer semester schedule will be responsible for notifying Student Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for any Financial Aid adjustment needed.
Billing: For individualized and up-to-date information regarding your Student Account, please visit the MyBU Student Portal. Students should contact the GMS Registrar’s Office or Financial Aid Administrator for any billing error.
Payment & Payment Deadlines: All students must be registered and settle their accounts by the deadline listed on Student Accounting Services page. Once you complete settlement of your Student Account, you will be considered officially registered and will be entitled to the use of University services.
Email Communications: All important GMS communications are e-mailed to the student’s BU email account. It is important that students check their BU email regularly. For those of students who wish to have their email forwarded from their BU account to a different account, please be sure the email forwarding is functioning correctly.
Address Changes: Students may change their address on MyBU Student Portal.
Withdrawing or Taking a Leave of Absence
A student Withdraws from a program when they officially drop ALL courses taken during the current semester and leave their program of study prior to completion of their degree.
A student requests a Leave of Absence (LOA) to take a period of time off prior to resuming and completing their program. (students may only take up to two academic semester’s of a Leave of Absence).
Students should discuss their situation with their Advisor/Program Director and submit the Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form to the GMS Registrar Office. Students must return within one year of requesting a LOA to be reinstated without reapplying. Additional expansion of the rules governing leave of absences and withdrawal can be found here. Please follow the refund calendar for key dates.
NOTE: Students may NOT register or audit courses in other colleges at the University.
Boston University does not permit a student to enroll simultaneously in more than one graduate program either within Boston University or at another institution, unless those programs have been previously approved by the Trustees of Boston University as a combined degree program.