Marcelle M. Willock, MD, Faculty Development & Diversity Program
Marcelle M. Willock, MD was Emeritus Professor of Anesthesiology at the Chobanian & Avedisian SOM. A 1962 graduate of Howard University College of Medicine, she is the first African-American woman to achieve Emeritus status at the Chobanian & Avedisian SOM. Serving as Chair of Anesthesiology from 1982-98, Dr. Willock was among the first women of color to lead an academic and clinical department in the United States. After leaving the Chobanian & Avedisian SOM, Dr. Willock became the first female Dean of Charles Drew University College of Medicine and Science in Los Angeles, where she retired in 2005. An advocate for civil rights and diversity, she has collaborated with many programs addressing healthcare inequities and the fair treatment of gender, racial, and ethnic underrepresented groups in medicine.
Marcelle M. Willock, MD, Faculty Development and Diversity Program (MWP) is a longitudinal leadership and career development program dedicated to Marcelle Willock. Faculty members from the BU Medical Campus (Schools of Medicine, Public Health, and Dentistry) are welcome to apply. This program provides faculty with community and a sense of belonging at BUMC. In addition, MWP helps faculty develop the strategies to advance their careers and skills to navigate the complexities of being in academic health sciences.
2024-25 Applications will open from April 1st to May 20th, 2024.
You cannot save your application once you have started it, so please prepare your answers in advance. A Word version of the application is available here.
- Enhance peer mentoring and sense of community among faculty members
- Develop a better understanding of the institutional culture of BUMC
- Enhance leadership and career development skills identified by participants as areas for development
- Engage in meaningful discussions about the experience of navigating academic health sciences
- Contribute to efforts to create a more diverse and inclusive environment at BUMC
Faculty from the BU Medical Campus
- Sessions are 1.5 hours from Oct to June on Thursdays 4:30 – 6 pm
- Participants commit to actively participate in at least 8 of the 10 in-person sessions
- Meet Sheila Chapman & Ricardo Cruz 2x/year for individual development planning
- Meet Emelia Benjamin 1x/year for CV consultation
- October 10th, 2024
- November 7th, 2024
- December 5th, 2024
- January 16th, 2025
- February 6th, 2025
- February 27th, 2025
- March 27th, 2025
- April 17th, 2025
- May 8th, 2025
- June 5th, 2025
Current & Past Participants
Examples of Past Curriculum
BU intends that its facilities, programming and academic offerings will be accessible, inclusive and diverse. Your experience in this event is important to us. If you require communication access services for the deaf or hard of hearing, or require an accommodation for another reason, please contact email@example.com to discuss your needs. Please see Event Accessibility for details on accommodations.
For more information about the Marcelle M. Willock, MD, Faculty Development & Diversity Program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org