PhD & MD/PhD – Summer 2015 Registration

MD/PhD Students in BUSM: Medical students in year I, II, III & IV  should register through the  Medical School.

On-Line Registration Procedures:

  • Meet with your advisor and discuss course selection.
  • Log into Student Link  using your BU login name and Kerberos password and make course selections.
  • Students enrolled in  less than 12 credits who wish to be  certified full-time, should obtain signatures on the printed Certified Full Time (CFT) Form. 

Important Links and Forms, all accessible from the Students page.

  • Course Offerings
  • Important Dates for pertinent deadlines
  • GMS Forms
    • Registration Forms
      • Certified Full Time (CFT) Form (if taking a course (s) or registering as a continuing study student)
      • Class Adjustment Form (add/drop form)
      • Withdrawal and Leave of Absence Form
      • Petition Forms and Special Request Forms
      • Diploma and Degree Completion
      • Dissertation, Thesis and Capstone Forms

Additional Information

International Students

Please visit the ISSO site for additional information

Completion of Graduate Study

All students in graduate study in the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences must register for two consecutive semesters prior to completion of their degree.  All final documents, including the dissertation (if applicable), must be submitted during the last registered semester according to the deadlines on the graduation calendar, and will not be accepted unless all other coursework and requirements of the specific degree have been completed.

Continuing Students

Continuing Students with Courses: Students continuing in a program but who are not registered for a full-time course load due to the completion of other degree requirements, such as research, must follow the registration guidelines above and meet with their advisor/program director to discuss course selection and for on-line registration.  A Certified Full-Time (CFT) Form must be submitted if registering for less than twelve credits of coursework.  This form must be signed by the student’s advisor and submitted as a hard copy to the GMS office Registrar.  Students should indicate the type of independent work to be completed during the semester and the number of hours dedicated to that work.  Please note that specific details of objectives are required or the request may be denied.  Visa regulations require that most International students maintain full-time status either by course registration or by certification.

Continuing Students without Courses: students who are no longer taking coursework and are working on their dissertation, or other degree requirements, must register as a continuing student.  Graduate students who are engaged during the summer in full-time research as an essential component of the graduate degree program are eligible to register for Summer Research Status and to be certified as a full-time student (summer II only).  This will establish the individual’s official student status for purposes of loan eligibility and tax considerations.  There is no charge to register for Summer Research status.  Summer Research Status is available only for students continuing their studies in the fall; this status does not satisfy the mandatory registration for the final two semesters during which degree requirements are completed.

Continuing Students Part-Time without Courses: All part-time continuing students may register on-line for the course (Summer I – GMS MS 983 A1 – Summer II – GMS MS 984 B1).

Class Adjustment Guidelines

The Class Adjustment Form should be used to add or drop a class. Please pay close attention to the add/drop deadlines.

Adding a Course:

  • Students may add a course via on-line registration or with the Class Adjustment Form for summer I through May 26, 2015 and Summer II through July 6, 2015.  Some GMS courses are restricted from on-line registration.  For these courses, students must submit a Registration Form or a Class Adjustment Form with instructor and advisor signature.

Dropping a Course(s):

  • Students may drop a course via on-line registration following the approval of their advisor without academic penalty or a “W” grade for standard courses (Summer I by May 26, 2015 and Summer II by July 6, 2015).
  • Students who choose to drop a course after the designated drop deadline must obtain both the instructor and advisor signatures, complete the Class Adjustment Form and will receive a “W” grade on their transcript.  Drop with a (W) by June 12, 2015 for Summer I and July 23, 2015 for Summer II. After the deadlines students may not drop standard courses.
  • To add or drop a non‐standard course, students should use  Student Link to view pertinent add/drop deadlines because non‐standard classes have a customized drop schedule.
  • Students should check their student account as they add and drop classes after the payment deadline and notify the GMS Registrar  if their student status changes from part‐time (0‐11 credits) to full‐time (12‐18credits)  (or vice-versa) in order  to  have their certification code corrected.  Please notify Ms. Sherill Ashe, GMS Financial Aid Administrator (617-638-5216) in the GMS office – Room L 310.

Summer Research Registration For PhD Students

PhD students who are engaged in full-time research during the summer as an essential component of their PhD degree program are eligible to register for Summer Research Registration status.  The purpose is to provide a no-cost mechanism whereby graduate students who are engaged in academic research during the summer can be appropriately recognized as students for purposes of loan eligibility and tax considerations.  A student seeking Summer Research status, should complete the Summer Research Status registration form, obtain the appropriate signatures, and submit this competed form to GMS Registrar in Room L-309.  Forms should be submitted before the start of the Summer Session II.

Note: This does not apply to MD/PhD students in BUSM I who will be doing the required summer 8-10 week lab rotation.

MD/PhD Students Obtaining Summer Research Status

BUSM I AND BUSM II: If you plan to transition to research studies in the Fall 2015 semester, please complete the MD/PhD Transition Form.  If you are doing an alternative curriculum, please notify Ms. Amy Gartland in GMS room L 317.

Address Change, Payment, Stipends and Health Insurance

Stipend Checks: All PhD students who are currently in the research years need to register by April 30, 2015 to ensure that a June stipend check is issued on time.  You should also check with your departmental administrator to make sure the necessary paperwork is in order.

Financial Aid Vouchers, Fellowships, Scholarships and Deadlines:  If you have been awarded a scholarship or a fellowship, please contact

Ms. Sherill Ashe (L-310) as soon as possible to establish your financial aid awards, prior to the payment deadlines.

Payment & Payment Deadlines : Payments are made to Boston University, Student Accounting Services, 881 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215. Payment options for degree candidates are listed on the Student Accounting Services web site . Continuing students are expected to use the Student Account Inquiry function on Student Link to check the balance due on their student account.

Email Communications:  Please be reminded that all important GMS communications are e-mailed to your BU e-mail account.  It is important that you check your BU e-mail regularly.  For those of you who wish to have your e-mail forwarded from your BU account to a different account, please be sure your e-mail forwarding is functioning.

Address Changes: Update change of address on BU Student Link.

Withdrawing from the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences

Withdrawing means to officially drop ALL courses.  MD/PhD students, please see Dr. John Schwartz in the GMS office L 317.  All Ph.D. Students should discuss their situation with their Department Chair/ Program Director and advisor.  Submit the Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form to the GMS Registrar.  Students must return within one year of requesting a LOA to be reinstated without reapplying.  In Addition all PhD students requesting a LOA and /or withdrawal from GMS should meet with the Associate Provost, Dr. Linda Hyman.  Appointments can be arranged by contacting Danielle Simeone or calling 617-638-5138.  Additional expansion of the rules governing leave of absences and withdrawal can be found here.  Please follow the refund calendar for key dates.

Please obtain appropriate signatures on all forms, and turn the forms in to the Division Office (L-309) for processing. You should be prepared to pay for summer courses at the time of registration.