The Program in Biomedical Sciences begins accepting applications in September. Prospective applicants will create an account with the Boston University Centralized Application System (BU-GMS CAS) completing all personal, academic and supporting document sections. Applicants will be able to select the graduate program(s) of choice within GMS, and will be prompted to complete corresponding program materials in order to submit.
The application opens September 1, 2022 and closes December 1, 2022.
- Completed all requirements for a baccalaureate degree
- Three letters of recommendation
- An unofficial, English transcript of each college or university attended
- Structured personal statement (see below)
- For international applicants
- Submitted transcript and letters of recommendations must be in English. A WES evaluation is not required but is helpful for the review process.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)or IELTS results must be submitted for applicants who received their degrees in a non-English-speaking country. This requirement is waived only if you have received, or expect to receive, an undergraduate or graduate degree from a college or university in any of the following countries prior to enrollment in GMS: the United States of America, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, or Ireland. This waiver does not include undergraduate or graduate degrees earned from an institution in a country listed above while enrolled in a “dual degree” program with an institution in another country. Studying in the medium of English in a country other than the ones previously listed or studying as an exchange student in an English-speaking country without completing a degree program is not sufficient to waive the English proficiency requirement. The minimum score range requirement for TOEFL is 100 with a minimum of 20 in each section. The minimum score range requirement for IELTS is 7.
- See ISSO Website for all forms.
The Admissions Committee will select competitive applicants to interview in late January or February. Decisions are made following the last interview day, and applicants will be alerted by email. Due to privacy regulations, we cannot give decisions over the phone.
NOTE: The Program in Biomedical Sciences does not require that applicants submit GRE scores.
Structured Personal Statement Questions (2022)
Please structure your personal statement to address the following points in separate paragraphs. (Word limit 1000 words, total).
- Describe your motivation to pursue a PhD degree and how PiBS will help you to achieve your goals.
- Describe your research experience(s) to date.
- Describe an example of how you overcame an obstacle or conflict in your personal life and/or your research.
- Describe how you feel diversity of background, experience, collaboration and teamwork have impacted you and/or scientific inquiry as a whole.
BU PhD Program Funding
Learn more about PhD program funding at the Graduate Medical Sciences.