Access Services – Circulation
Phone: (617) 358-4902
Click to jump to a specific topic:
- Departmental Overview
- Library Access Policy
- Library Study Spaces
- Library Photography and Filming Policy
- Library Use by BMC Faculty and Staff
- Fines and Billing Information
- Course Materials on Reserve
- WorldCat Discovery
- Medical Offsite Storage Materials Request
- Charles River Campus Item Request
- Accessing Library Holdings
- Public Safety Services
- Missing Item Search
The Alumni Medical Library provides library and information services to faculty, staff and students of the Boston University schools of Medicine, Dental Medicine, and Public Health, and to employees of the Boston Medical Center. The Library is open to Boston University students, faculty, staff and alumni, members of the Boston Library Consortium with valid BLC ID, and members of the Massachusetts Medical Society. Click to access the Library Catalog or a description of Library Collections. Use this form to recommend that the Library purchase a book or journal title.
- All faculty, staff and students of Boston University can use their identification cards to check out materials from the Alumni Medical Library.
- All faculty, staff and students who are affiliated with universities and libraries holding membership in the Boston Library Consortium (BLC) are also eligible to check out materials. A valid BLC card must be presented at time of check out.
- Journals, reference books, reserve books and audiovisual materials do not circulate outside the Library.
- Books in the regular circulating collection are circulated for 56 days. Renew with the Book Renewal Form or by contacting the Circulation Desk at (617) 358-4902 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also renew online by signing into your account on the BU Libraries Search screen (look in the upper right corner), then clicking My Account.
- Each book may be renewed up to two times unless another patron has placed a “hold” on the item. When a book is renewed, its due date is 28 days from the day of the renewal. Book renewals must be requested within one week of the book’s due date: Boston University’s online library catalog system does not allow for a book to be renewed prior to one week before its due date.
- If another patron places a “hold” on an item the borrower will receive an email notification with a new due date: 7 days from the time of recall.
- Checked out materials owned by the Medical Library can be returned to any of the other libraries in the Boston University Library system. Items requested from other libraries using the Interlibrary Loan Service must be returned to the BU library from which they were requested.
- Patrons are responsible for theft, loss, or damage to items checked out to them.
Library Access Policy
Due to Covid-19, the Alumni Medical Library (L-12) is open to current BU students, faculty, and staff only. Through the Winter/Spring 2021 semester, hours of operation will be Sunday - Friday 7:30 am to 6:00 pm, and Saturday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
The L-11 Testing Center and L-1110 classroom will be open as student study space daily 6:00 am - 7:00 pm whenever exams and classes are not scheduled.
Face coverings are required at all times and no food is allowed. Beverages are allowed only if a straw is used under the face covering. Study seats have been reduced to comply with public health guidelines.
Library Study Spaces
Quiet Study: L-13
- When exams are not scheduled: L-1101 Testing Center
- L-1309, L-1310, L-1311, and L-1313
- When exams are not scheduled: L-1102 Coffee/Vending Lounge and L-1109B (accessible via the L-1109 Computing Help Desk)
- Look for available classrooms with the Medical Campus Study Space Finder at www.bu.edu/medstudy
Library Photography and Filming Policy
Prior approval by the Communications Office is required in advance of any photography or filming occurring in the Alumni Medical Library. No unauthorized photography or filming is allowed in the Alumni Medical Library.
Please contact the Communications Office as early as possible since scheduling and coordinating appointments and locations requires advanced planning. Please contact Gina DiGravio, Media Relations Manager, at (617) 638-8480, or email@example.com.
The Medical Campus Communications Office will evaluate all requests and determine whether or not a request is approved. The Communications Office will review with the requestor the BU Medical Campus Policies and Procedures. The Communications Office will also determine whether or not the Alumni Medical Library is the most appropriate location on campus for a photography or filming need.
Library Use by BMC Hospital Faculty and Staff
BMC clinical employees, including residents, can use their BMC identification cards to check out materials at the Alumni Medical Library. BMC ID cards can also be used to check out items at the Charles River campus libraries, but only after an initial visit to the Medical Library. If you have already checked out a book at the Medical Library, you will not need to do anything further. If you have not checked out an item and wish to use your ID card at the Charles River campus libraries, please present your card to the staff member at the Alumni Medical Library desk and ask to be added to the library system.
Fines and Billing Information
- If a patron fails to return a checked-out item 7 days past its due date, he or she will receive a late notice requesting that the item be returned immediately.
- If the book is not returned 14 days after the first notice is sent, a second late notice is mailed.
- If the item is still not returned within an additional 20 days, a final late notice is sent. At this point:
- If a patron does not return the item 10 days after the final notice has been sent, he or she will be billed a $70 replacement charge per item (or cost of the item — whichever is greater) along with a $30 non-refundable billing fee. (Students’ university accounts are automatically billed for unreturned items. Faculty and staff must pay replacement charges or fines directly to the Library). BUMC and BMC faculty and staff will be blocked from checking out materials from all Boston University libraries. Blocked records cannot be reinstated until the overdue item is returned or the payment is received.
- Patrons who return items after receiving a billing notice are not required to pay the full $100 or replacement value of the item. As long as the item is returned in good condition and within a reasonable time, the patron is required to pay only a $30 non-refundable billing fee.
- When a patron returns the item, his or her library records are immediately unblocked as long as all fines have been paid in full.
Course Materials on Reserve
The Print Reserves Collection is located on the 12th floor of the Library behind the Circulation Desk. Reserve materials are loaned for a period of two hours and are for library use only.
The purpose of the Print Reserve Collection is to make required course readings easily accessible to Boston University students. By limiting the amount of time such material may be checked out and requiring that the material remain in the library during use, the Library ensures that all students in a class have the opportunity to make use of it. Additionally, the Reserve service provides a secure location for heavily-used items.
If you are a course instructor at the Boston University Medical Center (Schools of Medicine, Dental Medicine or Public Health), please view the Faculty Reserves page for instructions on how to place materials on reserve for your course.
The Circulation Services staff will relocate reserve materials that are no longer being used by a course instructor to the general collection. The course instructor must fill out or update a Reserve Request Form at least 14 days before these materials are needed on Reserve.
Medical Library Offsite Storage Materials Request
All historical print journals, and some older print books, are held in an offsite storage location (indicated in the catalog description as “Alumni Medical Library Off-site Storage”). Please use the form Order Articles and Books to request that print books or copies of journal articles held in Medical off-site storage be retrieved for you. This normally takes 1-2 business days. There is no charge for this service.
Please use the Order Articles and Books form to request a book held by a BLC member library.
If you need help placing a request, please call the Circulation Desk: (617) 358-4902. If you need additional information, contact Konstantin Starikov, Head of Access Services, at (617) 358-2349 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Charles River Campus Item Request
Students, faculty and staff of the Schools of Medicine, Dental Medicine, Public Health and the Boston Medical Center may use the Order Articles and Books form to request loanable materials available within the BU Library System.
Accessing Library Holdings
Public Safety Services
For items lost at the Alumni Medical Library call the Circulation Desk at (617) 358-4902. Lost and found items will be returned to the Public Safety Department on the same day that the items have been found. The Public Safety Department will provide vehicular or pedestrian escorts to the garages, lots and surrounding medical center buildings during night and weekend hours upon request. For more information about services provided by the BUMC Public Safety Department click on the link below.
Missing Item Search
If you are unable to locate an item on the shelves, you should first ask at the Circulation Desk so that staff can check to see if it is on a cart waiting to be re-shelved. If Library staff are also unable to find the item, please fill out the Missing Item form. Library staff will conduct multiple searches, over a period of several weeks, for each item reported missing. If an item is found, you will be contacted by email.