IS&T teams have resolved the incident with vendor assistance.
Please note: The feature used for scheduling recordings remains unavailable while IS&T teams and the vendor are determining the root cause of this issue.
Echo360 service is intermittently degraded or unavailable. Clients will be unable to schedule recordings and may have difficulty viewing existing recordings. Please check TechWeb for updates.
Recently, UIS users began experiencing access issues that were related to Java configurations on their systems. Either they were unable to access Host On-Demand (HOD) at all due to error messages (located at http://www.bu.edu/uis_web3270/), or the UIS terminal would simply load to a black screen and not bring them to the login screen. The usual fixes we had implemented in the past to solve Java issues with UIS would allow them to proceed to this black screen in many cases, but no further.
To resolve this issue if you experience it, try the following:
- On a PC, locate the application called “Configure Java.” In Windows 7, you can search for it using the search bar in your Start menu. It is located in “All Programs” within a folder called “Java.” On a Mac, open System Preferences and click on Java (towards the bottom).
- The Java Control Panel application should open in the “General” tab. Under the heading “Temporary Internet Files”, click the button that says “Settings…”
- A window will open called Temporary Files Settings. Uncheck the box that says “Keep temporary files on my computer.” Then click “OK” to close the window.
- Go to the “Security” tab.
- Click on “Edit Site List…” (towards the bottom).
- Ensure that http://www.bu.edu and https://www.bu.edu are in your site list. If they are not, you can add them using the “Add” button. Then click “OK” to close the window.
- Click the “Apply” button in the Java Control Panel. Then click “OK” to close the window.
- Quit any browsers you have open, then reopen them and try to access UIS again.
BUMC IT believes this may resolve the black screen issue for many users. If you still experience issues after trying these steps, or if you have any trouble following the steps and want our help, feel free to contact BUMC IT at 617-638-5914 or at email@example.com.
To BUworks Shoppers and Approvers:
It was recently discovered that punchout catalogs are not functioning properly when accessed through Firefox 16 (released on October 9). You will be able to get to the punchout catalogs and put items in your cart. However, when you attempt to purchase them, you will get a blank screen. Firefox15 (and prior versions) still work correctly.
Until Firefox releases an update that solves the problem, we are recommending that Windows users shop with Internet Explorer. Alternatively, instructions are provided so that Windows users can revert to version 15. Unfortunately, all Mac users must revert to Firefox 15 since Safari and other browsers are not supported by BUworks.
The affected punchout catalogs in SRM include:
- Bio-Rad Laboratories
- Fisher Scientific
- Office Depot (which is limited to only a select number of users)
- SHI International Corp
If you have any questions, or any problem downgrading to an earlier version of Firefox, please feel free to contact us.
On Wednesday, October 3, 2012, a new version of the Cisco AnyConnect client was deployed. You should get this update automatically when first connecting to http://work2.bumc.bu.edu after this date.
This new version of the Cisco AnyConnect client was deployed in order to:
• Resolve several major bugs and conflicts with various desktop operating systems
• Provide reliable support for both Windows and Macintosh
• Provide new functions and features, including support for Android clients
• Patch identified critical security vulnerabilities
• Keep clients in a vendor-supported version
• Address an expired vendor signed certificate with the older client installation bundle
With the update, the name changed from “Cisco AnyConnect” to “Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.” Unfortunately, this name change will cause any existing shortcuts to stop working. If you have had trouble connecting to the VPN after October 3, you should delete any shortcuts in use and start fresh by connecting to http://work2.bumc.bu.edu. We apologize for any inconvenience.
At this time we are unaware of any other issues related to this upgrade. However, additional information on this release is provided by Cisco. Please feel free to contact the IT Help Center (617-353-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org) or BUMC IT (617-638-5914 or email@example.com) if you have any problems or questions.
Incident Discovery Time: 08:30am on 9/25/2012
Incident Resolution Time: 09:30am on 9/25/2012
Services Impacted: Phone system- Crosstown Building
Description of Impact
The phone system in the Crosstown Building (801 Massachusetts Ave.) is currently down
Phone system in Crosstown Building is back up and running. If you are located in the Crosstown Building and continue to experience issues, contact Telecom at 638-6890.
Incident Discovery Time: 9:00am on 09/21/2012
Incident Resolution Time: 11:19am on 9/21/2012
Services Impacted: Email
Description of Impact
Clients receive “Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender” when sending email to @bmc.org or BU email addresses that forward to BMC
Incident Description and Resolution
BMC IT has resolved the incident.
If you continue to have issues, please contact the Service Desk.
UIS will not work if you have any Java version after v23 installed. Recently, Firefox blocked the use of the old Java plugin and many users have recently been experiencing issues accessing UIS in Firefox.
If you have the most up-to-date version of Firefox and cannot access UIS, you can follow the instructions below to workaround this issue:
- Go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab/
- Click “Add to Firefox” and wait for the file to download.
- Click “Install Now” (it might take a couple minutes for Install Now to show up)
- Click the button to restart Firefox
- Right click anywhere in empty space in the bar where your webpage tabs are and click “Customize”
- Scroll down until you see “IE tab.”
- Click the IE Tab and drag it up next to your address bar.
- Click the IE Tab icon every time you go on UIS in Firefox and it will display UIS in an IE tab.
If you have any questions, please contact the Service Desk at (617) 638-5914 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last week, Symantec said it was unable to predict when it would complete its patching of pcAnywhere, citing the unpredictability of its investigation and the creation of the necessary fixes. However, they have now released an update that addresses the security issues we reported earlier this week. We therefore will not be implementing an inbound filter to 5631/TCP, 5632/UDP on Sunday 2/5 as previously mentioned.
The updates can be manually downloaded from Symantec’s website, or customers can use pcAnywhere’s built-in updating service to retrieve and install the patches. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH179960
Modena also confirmed that customers running versions of pcAnywhere prior to version 12.0 will be offered a free upgrade to 12.5. “If requested, Symantec will honor an update to version 12.5 for the customer.”
Information Security Incident Response Team, Information Services & Technology