Install a Network Printer
To connect to a network printer, follow the instructions that correspond with your operating system.
Installing a Network Printer with Windows 10 & 7
If your Computer IS on the Domain
Connect to the Internet, and VPN (if necessary).
- Open the start menu and type \\bumc-print in the white search box that says Search programs and files and press enter.
- In the top right corner, you will see a search box that says “Search bumc-print.” Type in the 6 digit BUMC IT Asset# of the printer you wish to add. (image)
- Double click on the printer to install the driver.
- Repeat this steps to install additional printers
If your Computer is NOT on the Domain
- Connect to the Internet, and VPN (if necessary).
- Open the start menu and select Devices and Printers
- On the top of the Devices and Printers window, select Add a printer
- Choose Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer
- Click The printer than I want isn’t listed
- Select Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname
- Device type should automatically be set as Autodetect
- Look on the printer and locate the 6 digit BUMC IT Asset # of the printer you wish to add. (image)
- For the Hostname or IP address, enter the printer name in the format shown in the image: prn9xxxxx.bumc.bu.edu, where 9xxxxx represents your printer’s BUMC IT Asset #, located on the red or black or orange BUMC sticker on the
- Make sure that Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use is checked off before clicking Next
- The printer installation should begin. You will have the option to rename your printer after the installation is complete.
Installing a Network Printer on a Macintosh Computer
Connect to the Internet, and VPN (if necessary). Please visit the printer manufacturer’s website and download the OS X drivers for your specific printer model. Once you have the correct drivers, follow the steps below:
- Open System Preferences (one way is to click the Apple then System Preference)
- Within System Preferences, Select Print & Fax, located under Hardware. (image)
- On the leftmost side of the screen, select the plus sign (+) beneath the list of installed printers (image)
- Select IP from the options at the top of the window. The default Protocol is Line Printer Daemon – LPD. Leave this as is. (image)
- Under Address, enter the printer name in the format shown in the image: prn9xxxxx.bumc.bu.edu, where 9xxxxx represents your printer’s number, located on the red or black or orange BUMC sticker on the device. Many times your Mac will automatically determine the printer model. If not, manually select it from the “Print Using:” pop-up menu. (image)
- Click Add.
- You have successfully added the network printer! Your network printer will appear on the list of installed printers beneath any previously installed printers within the Print & Fax window. (image)