GMS Commencement 2017
Doctoral Candidates (with the School of Medicine)
Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 2 p.m.
925 Commonwealth Avenue
Reception to follow
Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9 a.m.
Track & Tennis Center
100 Ashford Street
Reception to follow
More details will be added as we approach the commencement events this spring. Please contact Kayleigh Klegraefe, with any questions.
Student Regalia Information
NEW: Regalia information for you and your hooder
Students have two sets of regalia to be mindful of when thinking about May’s ceremony: A) their own regalia; and B) the regalia of their hooder. Please see detailed instructions below for ordering each type of regalia.
A) All students must wear regalia to the Commencement ceremony. Order student regalia online by March 19 or in person at Barnes and Noble on the Charles River Campus beginning April 24.
B) A hooder places the academic hood over the student’s head during the commencement ceremony. Hooders should be faculty or close relatives. Students choose and invite their own hooders or will be hooded by a BUSM dean in attendence if a specific hooder is not requested. Students requesting a BUMC faculty for hooding should confirm their hooder’s attendance at commencement and remind the hooder to order faculty regalia by February 10.
Alternatively, if your selected hooder is NOT BU/BUMC/BMC faculty, s/he must hold either an MD or PhD degree and wear regalia. Please follow the instructions below for ordering regalia on your hooder’s behalf by February 19.
- Go to: herffjones.com
- Select Boston University from the drop-down menu. Click Continue.
- The next screen will indicate that the site is taking orders for BU’s ceremony on Sunday, May 21. The School of Medicine’s MD & PhD ceremony is on May 18; the site is simply noting the date of BU’s All-University Commencement on May 21. Please don’t be confused by the date. Click Continue.
- Click “Order Your Cap and Gown.”
- The next screen will confirm that you are ordering a cap, gown, and tassel for your hooder. The rental fee is $85. In the second section, enter cap and gown information for your hooder.
- On the next series of screens, select the state, city, and school from which your hooder received his/her highest degree.
- On the next screen, please enter your name and information in the “Customer Info” section and the name of your hooder as the “Participant.”
- You will be able to review and confirm your order before finalizing it.
Guest & Visitor Information
Guest and visitor information can be found here