Industry Exploration Program (IEP)
Industry Exploration Program
What is the Industry Exploration Program (IEP)?
- A program that allows postdocs to experience and understand careers outside the academic world.
- Provides interaction with industry scientists for career guidance and mentoring.
- Provides job shadow day (multiple times/year) that will allow postdocs to see the inner workings of companies in the biotech industry.
What are the advantages?
- Postdocs get the chance to see what it’s like to work in a corporate setting and experience the culture in participating companies such as: Astra Zeneca, Biogen Idec, Genzyme, Merck, Merrimack, Millennium, N.E. Biolabs, Novartis, Phizer, Sanofi, and other.
- Postdocs learn about the transition from academia to industry and gauge if it would be a good fit for them.
- Potential future collaboration and employment opportunities.
Results from the 2009-2011 IEP Pilot Phase involving Mass. General Hospital postdocs:
- 78% of participants showed an increased interest in the companies they visited.
- Postdocs and industry workers have established relationships that extend beyond the IEP.
- Participating companies have an increased visibility by word of mouth established from their involvement in this program.
- Several participants have secured positions at other local biotech companies!
Expansion of the IEP to Boston-Area Institutions:
- Initial proposal for expansion was well received by numerous local Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and postdoc associations.
- Boston University, Brigham & Women’s Hospital, Broad Institute, Dana Farber, Children Hospital, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology joined forces with MGH and MassBioEd Foundation
- Institutional commitment to participate entails administrative approval, attention to IP considerations, and long-term dedicated postdoctoral office support for the program.
- Logistics of future IEP visits are centrally coordinated by MassBioEd.
In order to participate in the Industry Exploration Program, you must complete the following:
For more information:
Office of Professional Development and Postdoctoral Affairs, Boston University School of Medicine, Division of General Medical Sciences email:Yolanta@bu.edu
Massachusetts Biotechnology Education Foundation, Larissa Fawkner, Director of Corporate & Community
Relations Massachusetts, Biotechnology Education Foundation 300 Technology Square, Eighth
Floor Cambridge, MA 02139 http://massbioed.orge: firstname.lastname@example.org p: 617-674-5141