Boston University DNA Mixture Training Website and the PROVEDIt Database
This site contains more than 27,000 thousand electronic .fsa and .hid profiles and a series of lessons on DNA profile interpretation.
The collection of .fsa and .hid profiles was generated over a four year period and includes 1- to 5- person DNA samples, amplified with targets ranging from 1 to 0.007 ng. In the case of multi-contributor samples, the contributor ratios ranged from equal parts of each contributor to mixtures containing 19 parts of one and 1 part of the other(s). Additionally, these profiles were generated using a variety of laboratory conditions from samples containing pristine; damaged (i.e., UV-Vis); enzymatically/sonically degraded; and inhibited DNA.
PROVEDIt Software Programs
The PROVEDIt project also consists of a suite of analysis and interpretation software systems developed in a variety of environments by a multi-disciplinary, inter- institutional team. The profiles and tools are made available to the community by the Laboratory for Forensic Research & Technology Development.
The collection includes:
- CEESIt: Computational Evaluation of Evidentiary Signal. Outputs the likelihood ratio, likelihood ratio distribution and p-value for an unknown.
- NOCIt: Number of Contributors. Outputs the a posteriori probability distribution for the number of contributors from which the sample arose.
- GGETIt: Genotype Generator & Evaluation Tool. A simulator that outputs the minimum number of contributors based on allele counts and compares it against the known number of contributors.
- SEEIt: Simulating Evidentiary Eletropherograms. A dynamic model written in the StellaTM environment that simulates the entire forensic process and produces simulated, well-characterized electropherograms for up to six contributors.
- CleanIt. An automated procedure for filtering bleed-through, complex bleed-through and minus A from an electropherogram.