The Division of Graduate Medical Sciences at BU School of Medicine maintains a robust admissions cycle each year, reviewing applicants for an academic program in the biomedical sciences. Applicants who have completed all requirements for a baccalaureate degree from a recognized college or university are invited to apply for admission into one (or up to two) of our 40 graduate programs.
The 2018 spring and fall application portal is now open.
Prospective applicants will create an account with the Boston University Centralized Application System (BU-GMS CAS) completing all personal, academic and supporting document sections. Applicants will be able to select the graduate program(s) of choice within GMS, and prompted to complete corresponding program materials in order to submit. Please note: there is a separate process for the Physician Assistant Program. Please see the PA website and apply for the PA program through CASPA.
For more information regarding Tuition and Financial Aid, please visit our website.
If you are seeking financial aid, we advise you to complete the optional SSN section of your application to expedite the process.
The application fee is $95. Applicants can review their program status or pay for their program(s) by selecting the “Manage My Programs” tab when logged into BU-GMS CAS. You will also receive email updates throughout this process regarding submission of materials and recommendation letters, status and decisions.
Once all of the required program materials are received, your application will be thoroughly reviewed by the individual program or faculty committee who will make a final recommendation to the GMS Admissions Office. Once this is completed, we will notify you of the final decision by mail and/or email. Due to privacy regulations we cannot give decisions over the phone.
Many of our master’s programs offer rolling admissions, so please check with the individual programs on the timeline.
- An unofficial, English transcript of each college or university attended should be uploaded to complete your application in the section “Supporting Information > Documents”. Please note that if you have multiple unofficial transcripts from the same college or university, combine them into one upload.
- GMS does not require an official transcript (or WES evaluation) unless you are admitted.
- Upon matriculation into the program, you must submit an official, final transcript.
- Admissions review may begin in the “Received” application status.
Please Have Official Transcripts Sent to:
BU Graduate Medical Sciences, 72 E. Concord Street, L-317 | Boston, MA 02118
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members, research advisors or similar in your proposed field. The software does not accept letter packets. There is a section to provide the recommender’s name, email, personal note of request and deadline for submission which will be electronically sent to him/her with further instructions. No paper letters accepted. You can submit your application with pending letter submissions.
- A Personal Statement, minimum 200 words, that describes your qualifications and the objectives of your intended educational program.
- The “Experiences” section is optional since it may be redundant to your resume.
- Official results of the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
Additional Documents are required by international students. You will be prompted to complete a separate section of materials once you have submitted your application. Please keep in mind that processing international documents may take time, so it is suggested that if you are applying for spring admission, submit your application no later than October 15th, and for fall admission, submit no later than June 1st to be considered.
- Transcript and letters of recommendations must be in English to be reviewed though a WES evaluation is not required.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS for applicants whose native language is not English. The minimum score range requirement for TOEFL is 90-100, with at least a minimum of 20 in each section.
- See ISSO Website for all forms.
- The financial documentation for international Ph.D. applicants is NOT required.
The Non-Degree application is for those with an accredited bachelor’s degree or its international equivalent who do not wish to enter a degree program but wish to take a course(s). Except under unusual circumstances, non-degree students may transfer no more than 8 credits for a master’s degree program or 16 credits for a PhD degree program. In order to transfer credits toward a degree, course grades received must be a “B” or higher.
- Complete the non-degree application form.
- Complete the Add/Drop Form and have it signed by the course instructor.
- Email or drop off both along with a copy of your unofficial transcript to the GMS Registrar, Millie Agosto in the Student Services Office, L-309
Please see the tuition page for up-to-date costs per credit. Non-degree applicants are not eligible for University sources of financial aid or aid that requires matriculation in a degree program.
To speak with a program representative, please see the following list of contacts.
- Program in Biomedical Sciences (PiBS) – Kimberly Arena (firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Anatomy & Neurobiology – Patricia Jones (email@example.com)
- Behavioral Neuroscience- Dr. Carole Palumbo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Graduate Program for Neuroscience (GPN) – Dr. Shelley Russek (email@example.com)
- Computational Nueroscience Track: Apply via GPN
- Pharmacology – Dr. Carol Walsh (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Program in Biomedical Sciences: Biochemistry, Biophysics, Genetics & Genomics, Nutrition & Metabolism, Microbiology, Molecular & Translational Medicine, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, Oral Biology and Physiology.
- Anatomy (Vesalius) – Patricia Jones (email@example.com)
- Bioimaging – Patricia Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Biomedical Forensic Sciences- Patricia Jones (email@example.com)
- Biomedical Research Technologies- Jenna Luca (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Clinical Investigation – Stacey Hess Pino (email@example.com)
- Forensic Anthropology – Patricia Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Genetic Counseling – Kathleen Swenson (email@example.com)
- Healthcare Emergency Management – Patricia Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Health Sciences Education – Jenna Luca (email@example.com)
- Medical Anthropology & Cross-Cultural Practice – Dr. Linda Barnes (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Nutrition and Metabolism– Lynn Moore (email@example.com)
- Medical Sciences
- Oral Health Sciences
- Program Inquiries: Dr. Theresa Davies (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mental Health Counseling & Behavioral Medicine – Bernice Mark (email@example.com)
- Pathology & Laboratory Medicine – Debra Kiley (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Physician Assistant Program – (email@example.com)
Please refer to our detailed instructions on how to navigate the new BU Centralized Application System. Thank you for your interest in our graduate programs!
|Ph.D. Programs||Spring 2018 Admissions||Fall 2018 Admissions|
|Anatomy & Neurobiology||No Enrollment||January 11th|
|Behavioral Neuroscience||No Enrollment||December 14th|
|Computational Neuroscience||No Enrollment||December 15th|
|Neuroscience (GPN)||No Enrollment||December 15th|
|Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics||No Enrollment||December 7th|
|Program in Biomedical Sciences (PiBS): Biochemistry/Biophysics/
Genetics & Genomics/ Immunology/
Microbiology/ Molecular & Translational Medicine/ Nutrition & Metabolism/ Oral Biology/ Pathology/ Physiology
|No Enrollment||December 1st|
|MD/PhD Combined Program||No Enrollment||November 1st|
|Anatomy and Neurobiology||No Enrollment||May 1st|
|Bioimaging||November 1st||April 1st|
|Biomedical Forensic Sciences||No Enrollment||July 31st|
|Biomedical Research Technologies||No Enrollment||June 1st|
|Clinical Investigation||November 1st||June 1st|
|Clinical Investigation Certificate||Rolling Admissions||Rolling Admissions|
|Dual Medical Sciences/Clinical Investigation||No Enrollment||Rolling Admissions|
|Dual Medical Sciences/Mental Health Counseling||No Enrollment||June 1st|
|Forensic Anthropology||No Enrollment||June 28th|
|Genetic Counseling||No Enrollment||December 14th|
|Healthcare Emergency Management||November 1st||April 1st|
|Medical Sciences||No Enrollment||Rolling Admissions|
|Oral Health Sciences||No Enrollment||May 17th|
|Medical Anthropology & Cross-Cultural Practice||November 1st||August 1st|
|Mental Health Counseling & Behavioral Medicine||No Enrollment||June 1st|
|Nutrition & Metabolism||November 1st||Rolling Admissions|
|Pathology Laboratory Sciences||No Enrollment||August 1st|
|Physician Assistant||No Enrollment||October 5th|
|Physiology||No Enrollment||May 10th|