The Division of Graduate Medical Sciences at BU School of Medicine maintains a robust admissions cycle each year, reviewing applicants for an academic program in the biomedical sciences. Applicants who have completed all requirements for a baccalaureate degree from a recognized college or university are invited to apply for admission into one (or up to two) of our 40 graduate programs.
Prospective applicants will create an account with the Boston University Centralized Application System (BU-GMS CAS) completing all personal, academic and supporting document sections. Applicants will be able to select the graduate program(s) of choice within GMS, and prompted to complete corresponding program materials in order to submit. Please note: there is a separate process for the Physician Assistant Program. Please see the PA website and apply for the PA program through CASPA.
For more information regarding Tuition and Financial Aid, please visit our website.
If you are seeking financial aid, we advise you to complete the optional SSN section of your application to expedite the process.
Applicants can review their program status or pay for their program(s) by selecting the “Manage My Programs” tab when logged into BU-GMS CAS. The application fee is $95. You will also receive email updates throughout this process regarding submission of materials and recommendation letters, status and decisions.
Once all of the required applicant materials are received, your application will be thoroughly reviewed by the individual program or faculty committee who will make a final recommendation to the GMS Admissions Office. Once this is completed, we will notify you of the final decision by mail and/or email. Due to privacy regulations we cannot give decisions over the phone.
Many of our master’s programs offer rolling admissions, so please check with the individual programs on the timeline.
- An unofficial transcript of each college or university attended is acceptable to complete your application and should be uploaded in the section “Supporting Information > Documents”. Applicants will be prompted to complete the transcript request form within the application for Official Transcripts which are sent directly to our transcript department. Upon matriculation into the program, you must submit an official, final transcript. Please note that if you have multiple unofficial transcripts from the same college or university, combine them into one upload.
- BU Graduate Medical Sciences Transcript Department, PO Box 9204 | Watertown, MA 02471
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members, research advisors or similar in your proposed field. There is a section to provide the recommender’s name, email, personal note of request and deadline for submission which will be electronically sent to him/her with further instructions. No paper letters accepted.
- A Personal Statement, no less than 200 words, that describes your qualifications and the objectives of your intended educational program.
- Official results of the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
Additional Documents are required by international students. You will be prompted to complete a separate section of materials once you have submitted your application. Please keep in mind that processing international documents may take time, so it is suggested that if you are applying for spring admission, submit your application no later than October 15th, and for fall admission, submit no later than June 1st to be considered.
- Transcript and letters of recommendations should be in English.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS for applicants whose native language is not English. The minimum score requirement for TOEFL is 213 (computer-based test) or 550 (paper-based test). For the computer-based test the minimum score for each section are as follows: Reading-21, Listening-18, Speaking-23, Writing-22. The minimum score required for IELTS is 6.5.
- See ISSO Website for all forms.
- The financial documentation for international Ph.D. applicants is NOT required.
The Non-Degree application is for those with an accredited bachelor’s degree or its international equivalent who do not wish to enter a degree program but wish to take a course(s). Except under unusual circumstances, non-degree students may transfer no more than 8 credits for a master’s degree program or 16 credits for a PhD degree program. In order to transfer credits toward a degree, course grades received must be a “B” or higher.
- Complete the non-degree application; only include unofficial transcript upload. GRE scores and recommendation letters are not required.
Non-degree applicants are not eligible for University sources of financial aid or aid that requires matriculation in a degree program.
Contact GMS Admissions
Division of Graduate Medical Sciences
Boston University School of Medicine
72 East Concord Street, Room L-317
Boston, MA 02118
Fax: (617) 638-5740
To speak with a program representative, please see the following list of contacts.
- PiBS – Danielle Simeone (firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Anatomy & Neurobiology – Patricia Jones (email@example.com)
- Behavioral Neuroscience- Rose Razzino (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Graduate Program for Neuroscience – Dr. Shelley Russek (email@example.com)
- Pharmacology – Dr. Carol Walsh (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Program in Biomedical Sciences: Biochemistry, Biophysics, Genetics & Genomics, Nutrition & Metabolism, Microbiology, Molecular & Translational Medicine, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, Oral Biology and Physiology.
- Lynese Wallace – Administrative Coordinator email@example.com
- Anatomy (Vesalius) – Patricia Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bioimaging – Patricia Jones (email@example.com)
- Biomedical Forensic Sciences- Patricia Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Clinical Investigation – Stacey Hess Pino (email@example.com)
- Forensic Anthropology – Patricia Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Genetic Counseling – MaryAnn Campion (email@example.com)
- Healthcare Emergency Management – Patricia Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Medical Anthropology & Cross-Cultural Practice – Dr. Linda Barnes (email@example.com)
- Nutrition and Metabolism– Di Gao (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Medical Sciences
- Oral Health Sciences
- Program Inquiries: Dr. Theresa Davies (email@example.com)
- Mental Health Counseling & Behavioral Medicine – Bernice Mark (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pathology & Laboratory Medicine – Debra Kiley (email@example.com)
- Physician Assistant Program – Madeline Brisotti (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Applications open September 2, 2015. Please refer to our detailed instructions on how to navigate the new BU Centralized Application System. Thank you for your interest in our graduate programs!
|Ph.D. Programs||Fall Admissions||Spring Admissions|
|Anatomy & Neurobiology||January 6th||N/A|
|Behavioral Neuroscience||January 6th||N/A|
|Computational Neuroscience||December 16th||N/A|
|Neuroscience (GPN)||December 16th||N/A|
|Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics||December 16th||N/A|
|Program in Biomedical Sciences (PiBS): Biochemistry/Biophysics/
Genetics & Genomics/ Immunology/
Microbiology/ Molecular & Translational Medicine/ Nutrition & Metabolism/ Oral Biology/ Pathology/ Physiology
|MD/PhD Combined Program||November 1st||N/A|
|Master’s Programs||Fall Admissions||Spring Admissions|
|Anatomy and Neurobiology||May 1st||No Enrollment|
|Bioimaging||August 1st||October 15th|
|Biomedical Forensic Sciences||July 31st||No Enrollment|
|Clinical Investigation||June 1st||October 15th|
|Forensic Anthropology||June 29th||No Enrollment|
|Genetic Counseling||December 16th||No Enrollment|
|Healthcare Emergency Management||June 1st||October 15th|
|Medical Sciences||Rolling Admissions||No Enrollment|
|Oral Health Sciences||May 15th||No Enrollment|
|Medical Anthropology & Cross-Cultural Practice||June 29th||October 15th|
|Mental Health Counseling & Behavioral Medicine||Rolling Admissions||No Enrollment|
|Nutrition & Metabolism||Rolling Admissions||October 15th|
|Pathology & Laboratory Medicine||May 1st||No Enrollment|
|Physician Assistant||September 1st||No Enrollment|
|Physiology||May 1st||No Enrollment|