Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQ’s

Where is Student Financial Services?

Student Financial Services is located on the 4th floor of the Robinson Building, Room B-401.

What are your hours of operation?

Our walk-in office hours are Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.  Our hours of operation are Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Please visit the Contact Us page for further information.

With whom should I meet?

All Student Financial Services (SFS) staff members are trained to assist all Boston University Medical Campus students with their financial aid options. If you visit SFS during our drop-in times, you will meet with our on-call staff member(s).  Each program has an SFS expert assigned to manage its student accounts. If you would like to contact your SFS Expert, feel free to stop by, phone or email to schedule an appointment. 


Application FAQ’s

When can I begin the financial aid process?
The 2023-2024 FAFSA  is available October 1st 2022.  US Citizens, Permanent Residents and Eligible Non-Citizens are encouraged to complete the FAFSA, using their (and spouse’s if applicable) 2020 federal tax returns.

Are there any institutional application requirements?
Please visit our How to Apply page for specific instructions.

What documents do I need to submit to SFS if I am applying for the Federal Direct Loan?


What is your FAFSA school code?


Should I submit parental information on the FAFSA application?
No parent or parental income information is required on the FAFSA.
For incoming BUSM students interested in being reviewed for BU need-based scholarships, parental information will need to be provided, to assess eligibility. More information can be found at the BUSM Applying for Aid page

What happens if I’ve forgotten or lost my FSA ID?

Visit for FSA ID troubleshooting topics. 

Do I have a deadline if I am only applying for federal aid?

Federal aid can be processed at any point during the school year, but if you are using federal funds to pay for tuition, you will need to apply at least one month before the payment deadline.


International Student FAQ’s 

Am I eligible for financial aid?
International students may apply for credit based loans with a US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Eligible Non-Citizen as a co-signer.  For more details, please visit our both our International Students and Loans page.

How do I learn more about the BU Community?
Visit the BU Global Programs International Students & Scholars Office website.


Award FAQ’s

How do I accept/decline/adjust my award?

For students receiving BU-funded loans, print out the award and accept, decline or reduce each amount individually.  For all other students, email the address associated with your school/college  from your BU email address, identifying how much you would like to reduce/cancel your loan. This process cannot be completed via the MyBU Student Portal.

Why has my Federal Direct Loan amount changed this year?

The annual amount available is calculated based on your school (or discipline) and enrollment term. The Federal Student Loans page provides specific loan amounts.

What is the TILA form?

It’s part of the Truth In Lending Clarification Act, HR 4002.


Cost of Attendance FAQ’s

Can I increase my budget for a new computer, childcare and/or unreimbursed medical expenses?

Yes, but there is a limited amount. Review the Cost of Attendance Increase page for more information. 

Can you help me build a budget? Manage my loans? Or explain all these letters from the Department of Education?

We’d love to! Make an appointment with your adviser or come on in. We’re happy to help!

What other options are available to meet the cost of attendance?
The Federal Graduate PLUS is available at Federal Loan Forms as well as several other credit-based loans at Loan Products .


Student Account FAQ’s

I have a credit on my student account to use for living expenses, how do I receive the funds?

Complete a direct deposit request in the MyBU Student Portal by visiting Money Matters, Student Account Inquiry, and then Request a Refund.  You will need to complete a new request each time you have a credit on your account you wish to receive.

But what if it’s a pending credit, because the loan hasn’t fully disbursed yet?

Since you may need funds immediately for living expenses, we provide an interest-free Credit Advance (CA) that enables funding to be issued in approximately three to five business days for a maximum of two months living expenses. Credit Advances are only issued if:

  • You are officially registered for the current semester
  • You have sufficient loans approved for disbursement to repay the advance
  • Classes have begun for your current semester

You can request an advance on the MyBU Student Portal, under the Request a Refund tab. Advances are approved on the discretion of SFS staff.

When can I receive my living expense funds by direct deposit?

Per federal regulations, SFS will direct deposit funds to your account after the first day of classes each semester.  Most students receive their funding over the first three days of their studies.


Loan FAQ’s

I’m a new student who needs to do entrance counseling. Where do I go?

Please visit the Entrance Counseling page for details.

How can I get my prior student loans deferred?

Most loans will be automatically deferred when the Boston University Registrar updates your status on a national database. However, it is your responsibility to make sure each loan is deferred.  If it was not done automatically, you must file a deferment form with each “holder” of your loan.  The lenders will have these forms and the Registrar will complete them.

Where can I learn more details about Public Service Loan Forgiveness, National Health Service Corps and the Community Health Center Primary Care Provider Loan Repayment program?
Federal Student Aid, National Health Services Corps and Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers.

What are some of the borrower benefits associated with institutional “BU loans”?

  • Interest rates range between 3-7 percent and are based on student need.
  • No monthly payments are due, nor does interest accrue during enrollment or residency.
  • One year grace period.

I keep getting bills from Direct Loans, but I’m still in school.  Do I need to pay this interest now?

No. Those are your bi-annual interest statements. You do not need to pay the interest while you are in school, but they will send you a form every semester.


School of Dental Medicine FAQ’s

I’m a GSDM student. Can I get more financial aid to pay for the NERB or WREB exam?

If you are on the list to take the exam, we will increase your budget upon request and you can apply for more loans.



Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine FAQ’s

May I redact any sensitive information, including social security numbers, from all tax documentation before submitting it to SFS?

How do I know if I have received a Dean’s Scholarship?
All applicants are automatically considered for the Dean’s Scholarship during the admission process – there is no application process.  Applicants are notified by the Dean at the time of or soon after their admission offer. Applicants not initially offered a Dean’s scholarship may not request reconsideration given strict guidelines for the scholarship. Applicants offered a Dean’s scholarship are still eligible to apply for the need-base scholarship – without the Dean’s scholarship being considered in the need-based analysis.

Is my Dean’s Scholarship and/or the Medical Residence Housing Grant considered in the need-based analysis?
SFS does not consider either funding sources when performing need-based analysis. Applicants may still be eligible for need-based aid.

What documents do I need to submit to Student Financial Services (SFS)?

  • CSS Profile
  • Your (and spouse if applicable) completed 2020 federal tax return & W-2 forms
  • Your completed parental* 2020 federal tax return & W-2 forms
  • No state tax documentation is required and will be shredded if submitted

*Parental data is not required if you were born on or before January 1, 1992. 


School of Public Health FAQ’s

Is there a deadline to apply for financial assistance?
We encourage new students to submit their complete applications around April 1. Continuing students should submit their complete applications around June 1. Requests for federal loans must be completed approximately one month prior to the last day of the semester for which you are applying for aid.

When will my scholarship post to my account?
Please contact the department providing your scholarship for further details if needed or if you are unsure of the amount of your scholarship funding.  Late fees (if any) are always removed if the funding is posted to your account after the billing due date has passed and no remaining balance is due.

I want to make changes to my scholarship offered by Admissions, how do I do so?
Contact our office at with your request.  Our office will process most Admissions scholarship changes. If you have a special request you may be directed to contact Admissions for approval.

Can I receive work study as part of my financial aid award?
Work study funding is limited.  Annually, an application will be open for students to request Federal Work Study funds. Students  awarded Federal Work Study will be contacted about their receipt of such funds.

I’m a BUSPH Student who wants to take summer classes. Can I get financial aid for that?

If you take six or more credits throughout the entire summer, you are eligible for federal aid. You can find this form here or in our office.

How do I apply for financial aid for the next enrollment period?
Application materials for continuing students for both fall and spring semesters will be online in February.  The summer loan application will be online in March.