To be eligible to receive federal, state, or Boston University financial aid you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. You may be required to submit proof of your citizenship status before your financial aid application can be considered complete.

Enter your full legal name on your financial aid (FAFSA and CSS Profile™) applications. Do not use a preferred name or nickname on your financial aid, admission, or other enrollment applications.

Your legal name is typically found on your Social Security Card. If you are a U.S. citizen, you must answer “U. S. Citizen” to the FAFSA question “Are you a U.S. citizen?” If you are a U.S. Permanent Resident or other eligible non-citizen, you must answer “Eligible Non-citizen” and then enter your 9-digit USCIS/ Alien Registration Number on the FAFSA.

If after following the steps specified above you receive a request for proof of citizenship, you must send acceptable documentation of your citizenship status to SFS. You can find acceptable documentation based on your citizenship status below.

International Student Resources