Enrollment Status

Degree Status

Students must be enrolled in a Federal Title IV aid approved degree program at Boston University to qualify for University-administered financial aid. Student Financial Services provides financial assistance to students enrolled in a program on the BU Medical Campus.

Summer Enrollment

Financial aid is only available to Graduate Medical Sciences and School of Public Health students for the summer enrollment period. Scholarship and grant eligibility varies based on a student’s financial aid award – you can contact our office if you have specific questions about financial aid for summer coursework. If you meet other eligibility criteria, federal and state financial aid and credit-based loans may be used for summer enrollment as well. Students generally must be enrolled in 6 credits and can only receive financial aid for the period of time they are enrolled. Medical students and Dental students are considered enrolled in extended Fall and Spring semesters and do not have separate enrollment periods for the summer semester.

Less than Full-Time Enrollment

If you enroll less than full-time, your eligibility will decrease and your financial aid may be reduced or canceled. Students must be registered at least half-time (or 6 credits for most BUMC programs on the medical campus) to qualify for Federal student loans and most private education loans.

Certified Full-Time Enrollment

GMS students and SPH PhD students may not be enrolled in full-time coursework but are still involved in educational pursuits that are equivalent to a full-time course load, such as those students who are completing thesis work or research. In these cases, students may qualify for Federal financial aid if they are approved as a Certified Full-Time student by their school. Students who are certified full-time are charged a continuing student fee and may have other fees assessed by the their school. Students in these situations who wish to receive Federal financial aid for the summer must be Certified Full-Time for both summer sessions.

SFS is not responsible for nor can we determine Certified Full-Time Status. Students are responsible for obtaining Certified Full-Time status through their school Registrar and academic advisor before we can review your account for Federal financial aid eligibility. SFS cannot provide guidance on this process as it is determined by each school on the medical campus. For more information, please visit the GMS Registrar pageĀ  and SPH Registrar page.

*SPH MPH students: generally the MPH practicum is not considered for Certified Full-Time Status. MPH students are encouraged to speak with their academic advisor regarding course planning.