Dental School Letter Options
All OHS students applying to dental school who plan to use the GMS office to send out their letters must follow these guidelines to complete the process.
Letters of Recommendation Options
AADSAS states that each student is allowed 4 individual letters OR 1 Committee Letter/Report and 1 individual letter. Each student should discuss the following 3 options with their advisor to determine what is best.
(i) GMS Letter Report (Packet) and 1 Undergraduate Letter
- Contains Advisor letter AND 1-4 additional letters ( i.e. academic professor(s), dentist, extracurricular activity supervisor or research mentor)
- 1 letter from your undergraduate school (sent electronically from your undergraduate professor).
(ii) Undergraduate Committee Letter and 1 GMS Letter
- Undergraduate committee letter / letter packet
- This committee letter or letter packet is sent directly from your undergraduate pre-professional advising office and includes a combination of recommender comments and/or letters.
- 1 other letter from GMS
- The 1 letter may be your Advisor letter (OHS – Dr. Davies), or an GMS professor (who should upload letter directly to AADSAS).
(iii) 4 Individual Letter Writers (this option does not use the GMS office)
- Each individual letter writer uploads his/her recommendations directly to AADSAS. These letters may include both GMS and undergraduate letters.
- Students can use their OHS Advisor letter from Dr. Davies but should indicate it is an individual letter (and not a packet) .
Completion of the LOR Section of AADSAS and Finalization of your GMS Letter Packet/Report for OHS students
ALL letters will be uploaded electronically by Dr. Davies to AADSAS
1. In May /June/early July provide Dr. Davies with the completed OHS Letter Request Form. This form includes your signature which will serve as your ‘waiver’ for all letters forwarded to GMS. Please sign the form. It can be dropped off or emailed to Dr. Davies directly.
2. Complete the AADSAS application in the following manner:
Check the box that indicates you will be submitting a Committee Letter/Report (if multiple letters) or Individual letter (if Advisor letter only) and indicate electronic when prompted. Indicated the following:
- Evaluator’s name: Theresa A. Davies, Ph.D.
- Contact email and phone: email@example.com, 617-638-5242
- Contact address
Boston University School of Medicine
Division of Graduate Medical Sciences, L317
72 East Concord Street,
Boston MA 02118
Sending your Letter Packet to AADSAS
It is your responsibility to confirm your letters have been received by GMS. After confirming that all recommendations that you have requested have been received in the office your letter file will be sent out.
Clearly indicate the authors of all letters you want included in your packet on the OHS letter request form.