House Staff Spotlight: Spring 2019

Jason Sherer, MD

PGY3

Specialty:

Internal Medicine

Pathway/Track:

Urban health pathway

Professional Interests:

I plan on pursuing a career in cardiovascular disease with a specific interest in arrhythmias. I think I would like to practice in an academic setting. My hope is that academia will give me a combination of clinical exposure, dedicated research time, and teaching.

Health disparities are also an interest of mine. I’m hoping to combine cardiovascular disease with my training in the urban health pathway to help address health care disparities. Not only providing care to populations afflicted by health disparities but also researching why those disparities exist and what systems need to be constructed or deconstructed to fix those disparities.

Current Projects:

I recently gave my senior talk on “Race, Ethnicity, and Health in Boston” which examined the practice of Redlining from the 1930s to the 1960s and how that has created health disparities in Boston, MA. It was interesting to learn how policies 80 years ago still affect us today.

Some of my other projects involve atrial fibrillation. One project is looking at the effect of weight management and bariatric surgery on the reduction of new onset atrial fibrillation and burden of existing atrial fibrillation.

Favorite experience, case, or project:

We see a lot of interesting pathology at Boston University Medical Center. I think one of my favorite experiences is a case that made me learn a lot! It was the dead of winter during intern year. This is the point of the year where you are really getting the swing of things but you are also tired from all the months on the wards. I was on the hematology service and one of my patient presented with Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH). He was a patient with poor health literacy and wanted an explanation of his disease. I vaguely remembered HLH from medical school and definitely didn’t feel completely comfortable providing a detailed explanation right away. Luckily, I had a great team and we all did a deep drive into the medical literature learning as much as we could. The proud moment came when I went back into the patient’s room and explained HLH using Pac-man characters. He said that was the first time he really understood the disease.

One goal you hope to accomplish in the future:

One goal for me now and in the future, is to increase the percentage of underrepresented minorities in the medical field. The medical field can be very demanding and a large time commitment but it can be very rewarding as well. I’m the first physician in my family so I know how it feels to be lost at times during the application process, schooling and continued training. My hope is to share my experience and my inspiration with young students to motivate them to go into the medical field and help them navigate through the field once there.

Favorite thing about residency/BMC:

My favorite things about residency are my co-residents. They create such a supportive environment. I feel comfortable running cases or questions by my co-residents when I need to talk through or discuss anything. We all believe in the mission of the hospital and work hard to make sure the patients are receiving exceptional care without exception.