Residency is an extremely busy time and sometimes it can feel like a challenge keeping our work-life balance in check. Enter the BMC Wellness Committee!
Wellness and well-being are among the highest priorities for our residency program. Currently spearheaded by PGY-3 residents Dr. Lauren Kearey and Dr. Iniya Rajendran, the #BMCIMRES Wellness Committee hopes to inspire a culture of wellness throughout your 3 years of residency by supporting resident-led wellness initiatives including:
- Distributing a monthly Wellness Newsletter announcing upcoming local events and naming a monthly “Wellness Champion”
- Planning Winter Fun Fest – our annual wellness month with events such as Chairman and PD Pancake Breakfast, Iron Chef Challenge, Paint Night and more!
- Organizing visits from the BMC Healing Pups
- Creating art exhibits and musical showcases at the annual Holiday Party
- Organizing volunteers for local shelters
- Hosting Bar Night every Thursday
- Organizing Run BMC and Hike BMC – regular running and hiking outings
In addition to resident led wellness initiatives, we dedicate a month of the Academic Half-Day curriculum to promoting wellness, resiliency and mindfulness and incorporate wellness exercises into many of our educational conferences.
Vice Chair of Education Dr. Gopal Yadavalli is also a professional advocate of physician wellness. He has given many talks at local and national conferences on the importance of well-being, particularly for physicians and guides individuals in creating a personalized wellness plan to fit into their personal and professional life.