Cost of Attendance (COA) Increase Request Form
This form allows Student Financial Services (SFS) to review additional educational expenses incurred during your period of enrollment. You must already be receiving financial aid up to your COA and your expenses must exceed your predetermined living allowance for the academic year.
SFS provides limited increases of the COA in compliance with federal regulations. These allowable expenses include:
- Monthly Living Expenses
- One-Time Computer Purchase
- Monthly Clinical Rotation Transportation Expenses
- Monthly Residence Interview Expenses
- Up to 10% of dental instrument fees (to cover wear and tear of instruments)
- Other allowable expenses that are determined by SFS to be required for a student’s educational program.
All expenses listed on the form must be supported by proper documentation. Expenses listed without supporting documentation will not be considered and your request will be denied.
Note that SFS may limit the amount of a student’s increase for any reason, and must decline an increase if it is determined that the cost was not incurred during the current period of enrollment or if it is not an allowable education-related expense.
SFS cannot increase the COA budget for the following unallowable expenses:
- Costs incurred outside of the current academic year, including costs incurred before matriculation or after the final day of exams for the student’s final term
- Costs incurred by a family member or other person, including a spouse, parent or roommate’s portion of rent or mortgage
- Outstanding student loan payments
- Auto purchase or payments
- Credit card or other consumer debt payments
- Moving expenses and security deposits
- Child support and other child care expenses (other than day care)
- Prescription medication
- Legal fees, bail, traffic tickets, parking tickets, or fines
- Veterinary costs, unless for a service animal
- Luxury items, such as premium cable channels, high-speed internet, food costs in excess of the standard allowance or other similar costs unless required for a specific education-related reason
CASH AND THIRD-PARTY TRANSACTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. SFS will only accept documented purchases made with a credit card, debit card, check, or other transaction type which shows the identity of the purchaser, the identity of the seller, and the date and amount of the purchase. Purchases made by another person and then reimbursed by the student will not be accepted.
Because most budget increases must be done after an expense is incurred, students may wish to determine in advance whether a cost would be approved prior to incurring that cost. In such cases, students should submit a request for a pre-approval. SFS staff will review the request and if approved, will inform the student of the amount. After a pre-approval, a student must still submit proof that the pre-approved payment was made during the current award period in order to receive a COA adjustment and additional student aid.
SFS will notify you via email within 10 business days whether or not your request is approved.
If approved, you may apply for additional federal and/or credit based loans to cover approved expenses.
A student may undergo an additional credit check for the increased Graduate PLUS eligibility. A student may be required to obtain an additional endorser addendum if the student needs an endorser to qualify for Graduate PLUS.
Fourth-Year BUSM Students only:
- The BUSM Residency Interview Expenses Appeal Form must be completed if the COA Increase is requested for Residency Interview related expenses. 18-19 BUSM Residency Interview Expenses Appeal Form
Fourth-Year GSDM Students only:
- The GSDM Residency Interview Expenses Appeal Form must be completed if the COA Increase is requested for Residency Interview related expenses. 18-19 GSDM Residency Interview Expenses Appeal Form