Home » Communication & Collaboration » Accounts » BU Login
BU Login Name & Kerberos Password
||During your time at Boston University, we provide you with a wide variety of technology services and computing resources to support your work. Before you can take advantage of these services, you must create a BU login name and Kerberos password. Your BU login name and Kerberos password are used to confirm your identity across most computing resources at the University. They are required when you want to read your BU e-mail, access computer labs, connect to the wireless network, or view your personal information online.
||Students, Faculty, Researchers, Staff, New/Incoming Students, Guests
||Protecting your identity and personal information is important to us. By requiring a BU login name and Kerberos password to access our services, we are able to offer you a more secure networked environment.
- BU login name – you can choose your own unique login name, which will become part of your BU e-mail address.
- Change password – if you know your Kerberos password and want to change it, you can do so online at anytime.
- Forgot password – if you forget your Kerberos password, call the Service Desk at (617) 358-4540
- BU Works – BU’s new enterprise management system for salary and benefits, human resources and purchasing.
- The Links – is BU’s online portal to confidential records, where you can register for courses, update your personal information, perform administrative functions, and more.
- BlackBoard 8– is BU’s online portal to manage all course materials
- BU Electronic Directory – update your listing preferences, display a nickname, and add optional information.
- Must have a BU ID number
- Must have a current and active status with the University, determined and verified by Human Resources or the Registrar
- Must read and agree to the University Conditions of Use and Policy on Computing Ethics
- See “Getting Started” below for additional requirements
- New Faculty/Staff- you will receive information about setting up your BU account during New Employee Orientation at Human Resources
- Incoming Students – prior to your arrival on campus, you will receive special instructions for creating your BU login name and Kerberos password.
- Department/Service Account- department representatives seeking a Departmental/Service account should submit a request through www.bu.edu/help/tech/accounts. Once logged in, click Departments.
- Guest Account- Non-BU affiliates who are not eligible through HR or the Registrar can be sponsored for a Guest account. Please have your sponsor complete the Guest account request form at www.bu.edu/help/tech/accounts. After logging in, click Guest on the left.
- If you are already on campus but do not have, or have forgotten components of, your BU login name and Kerberos password, please contact the Service Desk by phone at (617) 358-4540 or by e-mail.