Women in Internal Medicine Committee
What is WIIM:
Women in Internal Medicine (WIIM) is a resident-led group at Boston University Medical Center that seeks to bring together female-identifying trainees to foster community, support the development of mentorship networks, and address the unique opportunities and challenges of being a woman in internal medicine.
Initiatives for 2022-2023:
- Providing support for residents applying for fellowship or jobs through mock interviews, negotiation workshops, networking events
- Developing an alumni network database including past and current BMC residents
- Creating wellness events for residents focused around women in internal medicine
- Skill-building and conflict resolution events for challenges faced by women in internal medicine
- Promoting research work completed by female residents and faculty
On a WiIM Podcast:
“On a WiIM” is the podcast for and about women in medicine. We speak with influential women physicians to gain insight and learn more about their experiences as women in medicine.
Episode 1: Dr. Aala Jaberi, an Assistant Professor of Nephrology at Boston University SOM, talks about CKD in women
Episode 2: Dr. Alexandra Bachorik, primary care internist specializing in women’s health, talks about reproductive goals and improving access to reproductive healthcare
Episode 3: Dr. Monica Crespo-Bosque, assistant professor in the Section of Rheumatology, discusses inflammatory myopathies
Episode 4: Dr. Raagini Jawa, clinical instructor and addiction expert, talks about harm reduction in persons with IV drug use
Episode 5: Dr. Sara Alexanian, a clinical associate professor and the director of the inpatient diabetes program at BMC, discusses the inpatient management of diabetes
Episode 6: Dr. Rachel Simmons, clinical educatory and associate program director for the IM Residency at BMC, speaks about antiretrovirals for HIV
Episode 7: Dr. Arpan Mohanty, a clinical hepatologist and physician scientist, talks about stratification of cirrhosis
Past WiIM Events:
- Recruitment Meeting
- Fellowship Interview Preparation Event
- Professional Development Lecture Series by the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine: “Barriers that Drive the Underrepresentation of Women in Medicine”
Upcoming WiIM Events:
- Get excited about an upcoming book club night on “The Coach’s Guide for Women Professors” 4/27/22!
- Keep an eye out for a fellowship interview workshop
- Parenthood, pregnancy, and family planning discussion with alumni Lauren Kearney coming soon!
- Contract/salary negotiation workshop coming in 08/2022!
- A new podcast is always in the works – keep checking back!
Co-chairs: Emily Mann, Ayelet Shapira-Daniels
Education and Community: Devin Driscoll
Career and Development: Samantha Chua
Public Relations Leaders: Sarah Jensen and Harshitha Dudipala
Wellness Leaders: Rebecca Burns and Natalie Sun
Dedicated Chief: Hely Shah
Dedicated Admin: Laurie Dubois
Faculty Advisor: Alexandra Bachorik
You can always submit any concern to the anonymous compliance network at: https://www.bmc.org/medical-professionals/graduate-medical-education-gme/violation-reporting
Interested in writing the next opinion piece and having your voice heard?
Email us at G-IMWIMleadership@bmc.org
Connect with us on Instagram