Volunteer Community Service
Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, our major teaching hospital, both have a long tradition of community engagement serving the less fortunate in the city of Boston.
Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine supports our students in the development of a rich group of activities through Volunteer Community Service Activities. These activities provide opportunities for students to volunteer their services in the greater Boston community. Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine provides oversight with advising, programmatic, and financial support along with monitoring of activities.
Students provide important volunteer services to the community. It is important to consider what the Community’s needs are and match those with student interests. The SAO office is working with community leaders to be able to provide students with community needs.
Service Learning is a required part of the curriculum that is tracked through the LEADS course. Volunteer service through the activity groups below or other student or community organizations that responds to a community-identified need will count towards the service requirement. Ten hours of service and a reflection on your experience must be completed by the end of the second year. You can find more details on the LEADS Blackboard site or contact the LEADS course director if any questions.
List of Volunteer Service Activity Groups:
- Action Mentorship Project (AMP)
- Art SPACE: Supporting People And Creating Empowerment
- Boston University Coalition for Adult Immunization (BUCAI)
- Boston University for Down Syndrome (BUDS)
- Brain Enrichment Program (BEP)
- Bridging Gaps in Care
- BU Mentors for Aspiring Physician Students (MAPS)
- CALM (Cuddling Assists in Lowering Medication Treatment for NOWS)
- Health Professional Recruitment and Exposure Program (HPREP)
- Pipeline for Underrepresented Students in Healthcare (PUSH)
- Science Teaching Enrichment Program (BUSM STEP)
- Service PRIDE
- BU Student-Run Teen and Tot Service
- Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine Homeless Health Immersion Experience
- Comfortable in Our Skin (CIOS@Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine)
- Medical Students for Harm Reduction
- Outreach Van Project (OVP)
- Parkinson’s Partners
- Pediatric ED Evaluation for Risk of Substances (PEERS)
- Student Sidekicks at Boston Medical Center