Alumni Spotlight: Winter 2019

Myfanwy Callahan, MD, MPHAlumni Spotlight: Winter 2019 Myfanwy Callahan, MD, MPH

Class of 2015
Chief Resident Class of 2016

Current position

Most of my time is spent as a primary care internist. I recently became Chief of Internal Medicine at Harvard Vanguard Associates, Medford and I also act as the liaison for all of Atrius Health to the Department of Public Health.

Path to that Position

I started in the field of public health and only later decided to move into medicine so that I could work on both the clinical and systems-based issues in providing basic healthcare. Along the way I took a fellowship at the CDC as an MPH and stayed on as Chief Resident at BMC after residency. After my Chief year I joined Atrius health as a primary care physician and worked in their performance excellence group which helps promote population health before ultimately taking up the role of Chief again!

Proudest Professional Accomplishment

I’m still relatively early in my career but I hope to achieve great things!

Current Projects

I am working on improving team-based care for our diabetic patients locally and population health at the state and national level by utilizing EMR systems linked directly with public health data systems

Outside of Medicine

I still take time to sing and spend time with my two girls born one month before the beginning and one month before the end of residency.

Fond Memory from Residency/Chief Residency

Eating Indian food and doing Jeopardy quizzes for lunch lecture!

Advice for Current Seniors

There is an infinite variety within medicine and you can make this field what you want. If you have a specific interest, follow it and let other people know. Volunteer judiciously and that will lead you to a rewarding career.

Alumni Spotlight: Winter 2019 Myfanwy Callahan, MD, MPH (photo with family)