Socially Responsible Surgery
Recognizing social responsibility as a core value of surgical practice, and surgery as an essential component of global health, the Socially Responsible Surgery Committee was formed in 2014 to identify opportunities for leadership, research, and collaboration in the training of globally minded surgeons committed to surgical equity.
Tracey Dechert, MD
Lisa Allee, MSW, LICSW
Sabrina Sanchez, MD, MPH
BUSM/BMC SURGERY RESIDENTS
Krystyne Basa, MD
Maunil Bhatt, MD
Steven Coffin, MD
Alaina Geary, MD
Megan Janeway, MD
Ryan Macht, MD, MS
Jacob Nudel, MD
Thiago Oliveira, MD
Michael Poulson, MD
Stephanie Talutis, MD, MPH
- Introduce future generations of surgeons to concepts of disparities in surgical care and provide surgeons with the tools to advocate for their patients and communities.
- Incorporate advocacy training into resident and medical student curricula
- Participate in educational activities throughout the BUSM community across specialties
- Partake in educational opportunities nationally and internationally
- Engage in research methods to better understand disparities in surgical care and access and design appropriate interventions to address these inequalities.
- Design and implement studies focused on the understanding of access to surgical care in our communities
- Identify deficiencies in existing databases and improve upon them by engaging with other local academic institutions
- Apply concepts derived from local research to identify principles that can be applied worldwide to understand disparities
- Strengthen the ability of surgeons to engage in political and social platforms to improve care of surgical patients. Encourage the allocation of resources towards addressing surgical inequalities.
- Advocate for patients on a personal level within the doctor-patient relationship
- Engage in meaningful dialogue within our institution and between other institutions
- Encourage participation in the formulation and evolution of healthcare policies that address access to surgical care
- Expand our service to patients beyond providing surgical care and create a positive change within their sociocultural context and within their communities beyond the walls of our hospital.
- Design and implement interventions to address inequalities in the health of our surgical patients
- Build multidisciplinary teams to address inequalities driven by community priorities and interests
- Serve our communities in meaningful ways that extend beyond surgical care
For more information about Socially Responsible Surgery at Boston Medical Center, please visit our website.