Application and Recruitment Process
All applicants interested in our training program need only apply through the Electronic Residency Matching Services (ERAS). Information regarding the ERAS program is available through your medical school dean’s office or through the American Medical Association.
Applications will be considered complete with the following documentation:
- ERAS application
- USMLE scores (Step 1 & Step 2 CK)
- Personal statement (In your personal statement, please briefly (in 2-4 sentences) explain what attracts you to the General Surgery Program at Boston University School of Medicine/Boston Medical Center and what you will contribute to our community.)
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- Dean’s letter
- Please note: Boston Medical Center will be piloting the use of Casper Suite for GME for selection into the 2021-2022 training year and asks all general surgery applicants to complete Casper Suite for GME by creating an account on TakeCasper.com and reserving a test time and date. Visit takecasper.com/casper-suite-for-gme/ for more information.
All applications from LCME accredited medical school or equivalent international medical schools are considered. (Please note that if you are foreign graduate, you must be ECFMG certified to be considered for a position in our institution).
Academic credentials sought in the successful candidate’s application are Outstanding to Excellent performance on the USMLE Parts I and II and Honors in the required surgery rotation. We also evaluate the overall clinical performance; most candidates have High Pass or Honors in most clinical rotations.
Research experience and a broad range of extracurricular activities are valued. The Selection Committee (the Program Director and Associate Program Directors) selects candidates and invites them for an interview.
Please note that all 2020-2021 interviews will be conducted virtually.
Thank you for your interest in our program. Our 2020 and 2021 interview dates for categorical positions, which will begin in June 2021, are as follows:
Friday, October 30 (Boston University School of Medicine applicants)
Monday, November 16
Thursday, December 3
Tuesday, December 15
Wednesday, January 6, 2021
Wednesday January 13, 2021
For additional information, please contact:
Lana Ketlere, Surgical Residency Program Coordinator