Application and Recruitment Process
Applicants interested in our training program need only apply through the Electronic Residency Matching Service (ERAS). Information regarding the ERAS program is available through your medical school dean’s office or through the American Medical Association.
The Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM)/Boston Medical Center (BMC) Surgery Residency Program reserves one of its six residency slots for a member of the military. Interested applicants should forward their CV and a personal statement to Lana Ketlere, surgery residency program coordinator.
Please note: Applications from military members will be accepted until Sept. 11, 2022.
Applications will be considered complete with the following documentation:
- ERAS application
- For the 2022 ERAS cycle, our program will be participating in the supplemental ERAS application offered through the AAMC’s ERAS program. Applicants will be required to complete the MyERAS application, and participation in the supplemental ERAS application is optional.
- USMLE scores (Step 1 & Step 2 CK)
- Personal statement (Briefly, in 2-4 sentences, please explain what attracts you to the general surgery program at Boston Medical Center and what you will contribute to our community.)
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- Dean’s letter
- Altus Suite – assessments of non-cognitive skills for selection
All applicants are encouraged to complete Altus Suite for the 2022/23 application cycle. To complete Altus Suite, visit TakeAltus.com to create an account and complete the following assessments:
- Casper: 60-90 minute online, open-response situational judgment test
- Snapshot: 10-minute one-way video interview with standardized questions
- Duet: 15-minute value-alignment assessment
All applications from LCME-accredited medical schools or equivalent international medical schools are considered. (Please note that if you are a foreign graduate, you must be ECFMG certified to be considered for a position in our institution).
Applications are reviewed holistically. Research experience and a broad range of extracurricular activities are valued.
2022-2023 Interview Dates
(All interviews will be virtual.)
Wednesday, September 28 (Reserved for military applicants)
Friday, October 21 (Reserved for BU and visiting students)
Tuesday, November 15
Monday, December 5
Wednesday, December 14
Thursday, January 5, 2023
For additional information, please contact:
Lana Ketlere, Surgery Residency Program Coordinator