Pathology & Laboratory Medicine News Items –
- CAP (College of American Pathologist) 2013, Orlando Florida, October 13-16, 2013; Accepted:
- “Validation Of Pre-transfusion Compatibility Testing In PEG In A Semi-automated Transfusion Service” (Poster No. 98 – p 1371) – Josenia Tan and Karen Quillen – Abstract accepted to CAP 2013, poster presentation
- “Benign Epithelial Inclusions In Axillary Lymphnodes” (Poster No. 69 – p 1452) - Anita Deshpande, MD; Josenia Tan, MD; Melinda Lerwill, MD; Grace Zhao, MD; selected abstract for poster presentation at CAP ’13.
- “Utility Of Fetal Tissue Examination in Intrauterine Fetal Demise Autopsies;” (Poster No. 95 – p 1508)
- Cathryn Byrne-Dugan, MD, et al – Abstract accepted to CAP 2013, poster presentation
- From Dr. Carmen Sarita-Reyes: on page 166: http://www.archivesofpathology.org/doi/pdf/10.5858/arpa.2013-0354-AB; presented by Yue Sun, MD and Antonio de las Morenas, MD; “Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma and Potential Therapeutic Target” (Poster No. 152 – p 1525)
- Dr. Daniel Remick was the Keynote Speaker, 15th Congress of the European Shock Society, Vienna Austria, September 2013; “Sepsis, When you die we want to know why”
- Dr. Remick also participated in “Meet the Expert, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Traumatology,” Vienna Austria in September 2013
- Daoreuang Pongvongkeo, Angel Lui, Genevieve Matnog, and John Lee from the Hematology Lab have validated a new automated urinalysis platform, the iRICELL Plus, that went live 9/9/13. This new automated platform will improve efficiency in performing and releasing urinalysis results.
- Dr. Barbara Nikolajczyk presented her teams’ work “Lymphocytes regulate inflammation in human type 2 diabetes” at the Aegean Conference on Immunometabolism in Rhodes, Greece, September 17, 2013
- Dr. Barb Nikolajczyk also presented her teams’ work “Roles of B cells in type 2 diabetes and T2D-associated periodontal disease” at the Forsyth Institute in Cambridge, MA September 26, 2013
- Dr. David Sherr was featured in an article in International Innovations in which I discuss the role of the environment in breast cancer progression. See the URL below. http://www.bumc.bu.edu/immunology/files/2006/10/Final-High-resolution-p93-95_David_Sherr.pdf
- Dr. Daniel Remick was the Keynote Speaker, at the 11th Annual Advances in Inflammation Research, Brown University, September 26th & 27th; “The roles of adenosine and antibodies in sepsis”
- Daniel Remick, MD is the Chair and invited speaker, 46th Annual Meeting of the Society for Leukocyte Biology, Providence Rhode Island, “Leukocytes and mediators that influence survival”
- MD/PhD candidate Nick Woolf, in the Rahimi Lab, was recently accepted as a fellow in BU’s 2013-2014 Cross-Disciplinary Training in Nanotechnology for Cancer (XTNC) program. This fellowship will fund his research stipend for at least one year (two with a renewal application). It’s a great opportunity for Nick to meet other PhD students in the sciences at BU, and he will be learning the nuances of several techniques with nanobiology applications.
- Resident Manisha Mehta, MD has had her abstract, ‘Vitreous cytology: A diagnostic glimpse into the eye’ Manisha Mehta, MD; Reena Rashid, MD; Stephen Foster, MD; Nora Laver, MD, accepted as a talk at the 2013 AAOOP (American Association of Ocular Oncologists and Pathologists) Annual Meeting, “Memorial Celebration of the Life and Work of Dr. Lorenz E. Zimmerman with Anastasia Zimmerman” on November 15th in New Orleans
- The Nikolajczyk Lab has received a 1 year Diabetes Complications Consortium Grant from the NIH
- Welcome to our NEW dedicated Residency Program Coordinator, Mark Uva!