Copyright, Intellectual Property & Patents
Boston University Resources
- Blackboard Learn: Best Practices in Copyright Compliance
- Linking to Library Material in Blackboard Learn: Video Tutorial
- Boston University Office of the General Counsel
- Copyright Basics
- Copyright Resources
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- Obtaining Copyright Permissions
- Plagiarism Detection
- Campus Copyright: Rights and Responsibilities: A Basic Guide to Policy [PDF]
- Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Academic and Research Libraries
From the Association of Research Libraries (ARL).
- CONTU Guidelines on Photocopying under Interlibrary Loan Arrangements
Developed to assist librarians and copyright proprietors in understanding the amount of photocopying for use in interlibrary loan arrangements permitted under the copyright law.
- Copyright Advisory Network
Encourages librarians to discuss copyright concerns, and seek feedback and advice from fellow librarians and copyright specialists.
- Copyright and Fair Use
- Copyright Clearance Center: Campus Guide to Copyright Compliance
- Copyright Clearance Center: The TEACH Act [PDF]
- Copyright Clearance Center: Using Course Management Systems [PDF]
- Creative Commons
Provides free tools that let authors, scientists, artists, and educators easily mark their creative work with the freedoms they want it to carry.
- Digital Millenium Copyright Act H.R. 2281 ENR
- Fair Use Checklist
This PDF from Cornell University gives guidelines for determining if classroom use of a resource constitutes Fair Use.
- Know Your Copy Rights: Using Copyrighted Works in Academic Settings
A brochure targeted to teaching faculty from the Association of Research Libraries.
- State Copyright Resource Center
Aims to clarify ambiguity around copyright status of state-produced works. The State Copyright Resource Center is a living document to ensure the most current information is available, and provide information about the copyright status of state works.
- U.S. Code Title 17-Copyrights
- U.S. Copyright Office
- University of Texas System: Copyright Crash Course
- Stanford University Copyright Renewal Database
Includes the copyright renewal records received by the US Copyright Office between 1950 and 1992 for books published in the US between 1923 and 1963.
- Intellectual Property and the National Information Infrastructure
An Executive Summary of the White House Information Infrastructure Task Force.
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- European Patent Office
- Google Patent Search
- National Information Standards Organization (NISO)
A non-profit association publishing technical standards
- Understanding Patentese: A Patent Glossary
- United States Patent and Trademark Office