EMRAP and AIR (Immunology) (Dec 2020)

AIR: https://aliemu.com/courses/immunology-2020/

EM:RAP for Asynchronous Learning! For credit, first, listen to the entire podcast. Your participation in the discussion board here is your attestation that you have listened and engaged with the content in a meaningful way.

https://www.emrap.org/episode/emrap202017/december

When you have finished listening to the podcast, answer the following questions:

1. Please list three things you learned from this podcast that you were not aware of before.
2. Are there any areas of your practice that you would change after listening to this podcast? If so, what would you do differently?
3. What topic mentioned in this podcast is considered too “bleeding edge” (ex. too new, lacks enough evidence, not ready for prime time). Are there any practices mentioned in this podcast that you would consider to not be applicable to our practice setting here at BMC?

One comment

1. 1. I was not aware of how to perform transtracheal jet ventilation in patients with severe subglottic stenosis, but now having heard about it and watched the video I can have that as a backup for future airway disasters.
    2. I was not aware that despite the limited evidence on significant improvement with TPA in acute stroke that ER doctors are much more likely to get sued for not giving the medication than giving the medication and having a bad outcome.
    3. Was not aware of the phenomena of transient post-traumatic blindness especially in kids. Glad to now have heard about it because it sounds very scary to see for the first time, and I am glad that it tends to have a a good prognosis,

Practice Change: In young/middle aged women with thunderclap headaches I plan to incorporate RCVS more consistently into my differentials and consider getting a CTA if I was already planning on getting some sort of head imaging.

Bleeding edge: Dual sequential defibrillation. I think that the idea of changing the electrical vector for refractory VF make sense as having potential to improve conversion rates, but at this time it doesn’t seem like there is enough data yet to incorporate this process in to my normal workflow.