Platelet activation plays a central role in thrombosis and hemostasis, while these processes are central to vascular health and disease. In the platelet lineage, bone marrow stem cells develop into early committed megakaryocyte progenitors, which undergo a unique cell cycle leading to polyploid cells prior to fragmenting into platelets. Our research focuses on mechanisms that regulate these processes under normal conditions vs. pathology. We proposed a new paradigm for controlling the transcription of genes uniquely expressed in this lineage, by identifying a cluster of non-tissue specific transcription factors that, together, constitute a signature uniquely driving this lineage development, among other cell lineages in the bone marrow. Studies were extended to identifying mechanisms governing polyploidy in megakaryocytes, leading also to better understanding of regulatory processes that cause polyploidy in other cells, such as aging vascular smooth muscle cells. Past projects involved molecular characterization of platelet and vascular adenosine receptors, and exploration of their roles in such cellular function. Importantly, knowledge gained by studying basic regulatory processes in healthy megakaryocytes and platelets aids our investigation of bone marrow pathologies, such as myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPNs). The systems used include primary bone marrow cultures, as well as transgenic and knock out mouse models.
- Professor, Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine
- Member, BU-BMC Cancer Center, Boston University
- Member, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University
- Founding Director, Evans Center for Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research, Boston University
- Director, Master of Science Program in Biomedical Research, Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine
- Member, Genome Science Institute, Boston University
- Graduate Faculty (Primary Mentor of Grad Students), Boston University School of Medicine, Graduate Medical Sciences
- BU Profile
- Ravid Lab
- Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute Training Program
- Sargent Colege Faculty
- Biology Faculty
- Hariri Institute for Computing and Computational Science & Engineering
- BU Nanotechnology Innovation Center (BUnano)
- Past President, Massachusetts Academy of Sciences
- Founding Director, BU Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research Office
- Founding Director, Evans Center for Interdiciplinary Biomedical Research
- Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, PhD
- Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, DSc
- Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, BSc
- GMS BR700 A1
- GMS BR700 A2
- GMS BR700 A2
- Published on 5/26/2022
Karagianni A, Ravid K. Myeloproliferative disorders and their effects on bone homeostasis: the role of megakaryocytes. Blood. 2022 May 26; 139(21):3127-3137. PMID: 34428274.
- Published on 2/17/2022
Gaye MM, Ward CM, Piasecki AJ, Stahl VL, Karagianni A, Costello CE, Ravid K. Characterization of Glycoproteoforms of Integrins a2 and ß1 in Megakaryocytes in the Occurrence of JAK2V617F Mutation-Induced Primary Myelofibrosis. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2022 Apr; 21(4):100213. PMID: 35182768.
- Published on 12/12/2021
Yang X, Chitalia SV, Matsuura S, Ravid K. Integrins and their role in megakaryocyte development and function. Exp Hematol. 2022 02; 106:31-39. PMID: 34910941.
- Published on 11/1/2021
Walker JA, Richards S, Whelan SA, Yoo SB, Russell TL, Arinze N, Lotfollahzadeh S, Napoleon MA, Belghasem M, Lee N, Dember LM, Ravid K, Chitalia VC. Indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase-1, a Novel Therapeutic Target for Post-Vascular Injury Thrombosis in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2021 11; 32(11):2834-2850. PMID: 34716244.
- Published on 12/1/2020
Piasecki A, Leiva O, Ravid K. Lysyl oxidase inhibition in primary myelofibrosis: A renewed strategy. Arch Stem Cell Ther. 2020 Dec; 1(1):23-27. PMID: 33738462.
- Published on 10/10/2020
Eisenstein A, Chitalia SV, Ravid K. Bone Marrow and Adipose Tissue Adenosine Receptors Effect on Osteogenesis and Adipogenesis. Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Oct 10; 21(20). PMID: 33050467.
- Published on 8/20/2020
Matsuura S, Thompson CR, Belghasem ME, Bekendam RH, Piasecki A, Leiva O, Ray A, Italiano J, Yang M, Merill-Skoloff G, Chitalia VC, Flaumenhaft R, Ravid K. Platelet Dysfunction and Thrombosis in JAK2V617F-Mutated Primary Myelofibrotic Mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2020 10; 40(10):e262-e272. PMID: 32814440.
- Published on 6/18/2020
Matsuura S, Thompson CR, Ng SK, Ward CM, Karagianni A, Mazzeo C, Malara A, Balduini A, Ravid K. Adhesion to fibronectin via a5ß1 integrin supports expansion of the megakaryocyte lineage in primary myelofibrosis. Blood. 2020 06 18; 135(25):2286-2291. PMID: 32294178.
- Published on 4/6/2020
Ward CM, Ravid K. Matrix Mechanosensation in the Erythroid and Megakaryocytic Lineages. Cells. 2020 04 06; 9(4). PMID: 32268541.
- Published on 12/26/2019
Belghasem M, Roth D, Richards S, Napolene MA, Walker J, Yin W, Arinze N, Lyle C, Spencer C, Francis JM, Thompson C, Andry C, Whelan SA, Lee N, Ravid K, Chitalia VC. Metabolites in a mouse cancer model enhance venous thrombogenicity through the aryl hydrocarbon receptor-tissue factor axis. Blood. 2019 12 26; 134(26):2399-2413. PMID: 31877217.
View 152 more publications: View full profile at BUMC