- BUSM Racism in Medicine Vertical Integration Group
- Human Genetic Variation: A Flipped Classroom Exercise in Cultural Competency, Shoumita Dasgupta, PhD, Katherine Tuttle; Dr. Dasgupta’s curriculum used in Genomic Medicine, peer reviewed in MedEdPORTAL
- Boston University Center for Antiracist Research
- Glossary of Racial Equity Terms (from www.racialequitytools.org)
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Glossary of Terms (from University of Washington – School of Public Health)
- Understanding Race; The Human Variation section provides information on understanding genetic variation
- AAMC MedEdPORTAL Anti-Racism Resources
- Addressing racism and mistreatment in academic medicine, Darrell G. Kirch, MD
- Pediatric Overflow Planning Contingency Response Network (POPCORN) Anti-Racism Resources
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Research & Education Institute
- Scene on Radio Podcast: “Seeing White”
- ASHG Denounces Attempts to Link Genetics and Racial Supremacy: Statement from American Society of Human Genetics emphasizing that science refutes racialization of population
- New England Journal of Medicine: Will Precision Medicine Move Us Beyond Race?
- BU Users can access the full article here (Kerberos login required)
- New York Times: Can Biology Class Reduce Racism?; Evidence that how we teach can impact racism
- National Museum of African American History and Culture: Talking About Race; An excellent all-encompassing resource for how to talk about race
- Superior: The Return of Race Science, by Angela Saini; Demonstrates the pseudoscience of race. Dr. Shoumita Dasgupta will be doing an on-line Q&A with the author on July 23.
- The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace, by Jeff Hobbs; NY Times Review: “Man Down”, by Anand Giridharadas
- Books by Dr. Ibram X. Kendi, Founding Director of the Boston University Center for Antiracist Research:
Gender & Sexual Diversity
- UCSF Terminology and Definitions (General terminology)
- Harvard Medical School Sexual and Gender Minority Health Equity Initiative: Terminology Guide (More detailed terminology; Includes a 2-page summary PDF at the bottom of the page)
- Fenway Health Glossary of LGBT Terms
- AAMC: Implementing Curricular and Institutional Climate Changes to Improve Health Care for Individuals Who are LGBT, Gender Nonconforming, or Born with DSD: A Resource for Medical Educators
- This publication is designed “to serve as a primary resource for the medical education community to use in determining whether trainees can provide clinically sound, culturally competent care to these patient populations…” and to provide “support for medical school administrators, faculty, and students in learning about populations who are or may be LGBT, gender nonconforming and/or born with DSD, evaluating cultural climate, and facilitating the implementation and assessment of new curricula to address these important issues.
- UCSF Guidelines for the Primary and Gender-Affirming Care of Transgender and Gender Nonbinary People
Online Training Modules
- National LGBTQIA+ Health Education Center Learning Modules from Fenway Health
- Freely available online training modules from Fenway Health
- Physician Education Assessment Center: LGBT Health Module
- Module directed towards graduate medical education trainees
The below conferences were recommended by BUSM’s Gender & Sexual Diversity Vertical Integration Group as additional resources to learn more about Gender & Sexual Diversity in medical education.