AHA Supporting Undergraduate Research Experiences (AHA SURE)
Boston University is committed to increasing the pipeline of individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups in science. Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) has been selected by the American Heart Association (AHA) as one of 5 US Medical Schools to pilot an underrepresented in medicine student summer research program called AHA Supporting Undergraduate Research Experiences (AHA SURE). The AHA SURE Summer Program is an excellent way for undergraduate students to garner research experience under guided mentorship from experts in the field of cardiovascular research.
Through a partnership with the American Heart Association, mentored 10- to 12-week summer research experiences are available for at least three students from ethnic / racial or LGBTQ+ groups under-represented in science. Current AHA awardees will serve as mentors for this program.
The program will be occurring in the broader context of multilevel mentoring available via the BU STARS program , which is out of BU’s Graduate Medical Sciences.
- Candidate may be pursuing a degree in any field but must have expressed an interest in a healthcare related field.
- Candidate must be full-time undergraduate, rising sophomore, junior or senior.
- Candidate must have exemplary academic performance.
- Candidate must be from under-represented ethnic /racial or LGBTQ+ groups in the science.
- $6000 stipend
- Room & Board at Boston University, if student is not locally-based
- Opportunity to travel to an AHA scientific meeting.
- Deadline: February 17th 2020
- Application Form
- Director of Training and Education, AHA SURE : Tinuola B. Ajayi MBBS, MPH firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program Assistant: Sura Celik, email@example.com
- Assistant Provost for Faculty Development, Boston University Medical Campus
Vice Chair, Faculty Development and Diversity, Dept. of Medicine , Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology, Boston University Schools of Medicine and Public Health: Emelia J. Benjamin, MD, ScM firstname.lastname@example.org