Research at BUSM: A Guide for Medical Students
This guide provides guidance to B.U. medical students who are interested in undertaking research while at BUSM. Each student must consider career goals, academic interests, and time available in the curriculum when planning his/her pathway to undertaking successful research experiences.
Class of 2023 Medical Students: Application Process for Medical Student Summer Research Program (summer 2020)
- MSSRP: Sessions & Deadlines (2019-2020)
- Department Points of Contacts for Medical Students Seeking Research
- List of Preceptors & Projects from Summers of 2016-2019
- Resources for Finding/Funding a Research or Enrichment Experience
- Medical Student Summer Research Program
All Medical Students: General Guidelines for Research
When Can I Undertake Research?
- Points in the curriculum to undertake research (timeline)
- Medical Student Summer Research Program (summer after first year)
- Year off for research experience
- Third-year Selective (4 weeks)
- Fourth-year elective (up to 8 weeks)
Considerations for Students:
- Student research can be extracurricular or a credit-bearing
- Students may be paid or un-paid for their research.
- There are short-term opportunities (e.g., Medical Student Summer Research Program) or long-term opportunities (a year off from the curriculum to engage in research).
Finding a Project and/or Mentor