Committee on Faculty Affairs’ Educator of the Year Awards
In 1999, the Committee on Faculty Affairs (CFA) of Boston University School of Medicine determined that the many excellent educators on the faculty of BUSM deserved recognition for their dedicated efforts to educate the students of BUSM at the highest level possible. Furthermore, the CFA determined that such recognition was most relevant if initiated by the students and affirmed by faculty peers. The awards were established to recognize, honor and reward BUSM faculty who give special effort to ensure the best education for BUSM students.
Awards are given annually to outstanding educators of:
A. School of Medicine
- pre-clinical medical sciences
- clinical sciences at Boston Medical Center
- clinical sciences at affiliates (e.g. VA, Roger Williams, MetroWest, etc.)
- clinical sciences at Kaiser Branch Campus
B. Graduate Medical Sciences
- dissertation advisor in graduate sciences at BUSM master’s and doctoral programs
- didactic teaching award in graduate sciences at BUSM master’s program
- didactic teaching award in graduate sciences at BUSM, doctoral program
All BUSM faculty who teach in any course or courses in the four categories identified above are eligible for these awards. Nominees must have an appointment as a faculty member at Boston University School of Medicine.
BUSM faculty members are eligible for the Graduate Sciences Award, based on their educational excellence as dissertation or thesis research advisors.
A CFA Educator of the Year Award cannot be given to a faculty member in two consecutive years regardless of the course or area of instruction previously recognized (i.e. a faculty member who received . Nominees who have never won an Educator of the Year Award will have preference provided that all else is equal.
A faculty member cannot win more than one Educator of the Year Award in a given academic year. However, these awards will be separate from any other teaching awards (i.e. a member of the faculty could receive an Educator of the Year Award in addition to other BUSM awards during the same year).
There will be only one Educator of the Year Award per teaching area per annual graduation.
The nomination form is available below. Nominations will be accepted from all BUSM medical students and all Division of Graduate Medical Sciences students. Each student may nominate only one faculty member in a category. Medical students may nominate both a pre-clinical and a clinical faculty member. Each student may nominate one faculty member in each category from any of the faculty members that they have experienced thus far (e.g. a student in year 4 could nominate a faculty member from spring of year 1, if they thought this person was the best choice in a particular category.)
Only individual student nominations will be accepted. Group nominations (i.e. a group of students getting together to nominate a given faculty) will not be accepted.
If you would like to nominate a member of the faculty, it is important that you fill out and submit the following form at any time, but no later than March 29, 2018.
Nominations will be separately considered based on identified area of instruction. Recommendations for each area will be determined separately. The nominations will be evaluated and ranked based on a combination of the following criteria (highest priority listed first):
- The quality of nominations as determined by the nomination statement.
- The number of nominations.
- Other (including the proviso that a nominee who has never won an Educator of the Year Award will have greater priority, provided that all else is equal; a nominee who has a full-time faculty appointment will have greater priority, provided that all else is equal).
The Committee may seek additional information from appropriate course directors when necessary. The Committee will forward all recommendations to the CFA for final approval.
Students will be reminded periodically by email to submit nominations by a March deadline. Nominations received after the March deadline will be considered the following year.
- March: Initial solicitation of nominations
- Mid-March: Selection Meeting
- April: Final Approval by CFA
- May: Presentation of Awards at Commencement