MD & MD PhD Entering Students
Admissions Office Staff is available for questions via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: July 6 – White Coat Registration – Due July 10 – See White Coat REGISTRATION; Added Orientation To Do List
Welcome to Boston University School of Medicine!
We know you are as excited to join the BUSM community as we are to have you. Check out the information below which contains required forms and information for entering students. You will find links to housing, health and emergency contact forms, computer requirements, and much more. This information will help you meet the Compliance Requirements for Registration of Medical Students before the first day of class, August 3, 2020. Return to this page for updates between now and day one!
In case you missed it! Class of 2024 Covid Town Hall – Friday, June 12
White Coat Ceremony - REGISTRATION, etc.
White Coat Ceremony
August 3, 2020
- White Coat To-Dos– as we’ve mentioned, this year’s Ceremony will be pre-recorded and streamed on Monday, August 3 at 11:00 a.m. as part of First Year Orientation. This will be “part one” of White Coat for your class in particular; we intend to hold “part two” before you start your clinical rotations in the third year in order to recognize your class with an in-person ceremony that can be inclusive of family members. That said, we still need your participation to make the virtual event meaningful and successful!
- Step 1: Sign up here for a 10-minute recording slot with our White Coat production team. *Note: in order to keep things simple, we are using an open access Google spreadsheet for sign-ups, so please respect your peers choices and do not delete any entries. If you opt to participate (which we hope you will do), you will be asked to record the Hippocratic Oath as well as a “student feature” (EITHER 1. your response to a series of general personal prompts OR 2. your interpretation of the White Coat “coating” process—family participation encouraged!). Since your White Coats are scheduled to start arriving early next week, we ask that you make use of them in the filming process!
- Step 2: Email Amanda Kaufman, Student Affairs Coordinator, with a high resolution photo of yourself and your name as you would like it to appear during the White Coat Ceremony. If you do not want your name or photo to appear during the Ceremony, please let Amanda know.
- Step 3: If you haven’t already, record your name.
- Call (617) 358-0108. To ensure that the audio recording is of good quality, it is preferable that you call from a land line instead of a cell phone and that you are in a quiet area when you make the call.
- Slowly state your first and last name as it should be read at Commencement. No nicknames, please.
- Repeat your name three (3) times to ensure that we clearly understand the proper pronunciation of your name.
- Please also record your contact information (email and phone number) in case we need to reach you.
- Step 4: Fill out the BUSM Video and Audio Recording Release form. *Note: if you do not fill out this form, we cannot include you in the White Coat Ceremony.
White Coat Order Form – Due Monday, June 15 @ 9:00AM – CLOSED – if you missed it, extra white coats will be available when you get to campus.
During the Ceremony, your name will be read when you receive your White Coat. In order to ensure proper pronunciation, please make sure you record your name by Wednesday, July 8th, (see below for instructions):
1) Call (617) 358-0108. To ensure that the audio recording is of good quality, it is preferable that you call from a land line instead of a cell phone and that you are in a quiet area when you make the call.
2) Slowly state your first and last name as it should be read at Commencement. No nicknames, please.
3) Repeat your name three (3) times to ensure that we clearly understand the proper pronunciation of your name.
4) Please also record your contact information (email and phone number) in case we need to reach you.
Orientation To Do List
First Year Orientation To-Dos
First Year Orientation To-Dos
- Complete the Medical Education Office Survey. *Note: in order to minimize and manage exposure risk for students arriving on campus, we are looking to understand with whom you will each be sharing living space. For those of you in the MSR, we already have this information, but if you will be living outside the MSR, we are asking students to complete this quick two question survey.
- Complete the Medical Student Professional Responsibility and Criminal Record Information Disclosure Agreements form.
- Upload your Terrier Card ID Photo by following these guidelines.
BUSM 2024 Facebook
Join now! Your classmates are waiting!
This is simply an example of typical equipment students will need. Much of it will be donated to you by alumni. You will be instructed at a later date as to what you will need. No action required at this time.
Tuition & Billing Questions
M1s are considered new graduate students, your payment deadline is September 14th. Visit Student Accounting Services to verify the fall bill date and some other helpful info.
Finalizing with Admissions
In addition to Compliance Requirements for Registration of Medical Students, these items are required to matriculate:
- Send Tuition Deposit of $500 by July 10 (Pathways and MD PhDs are NOT required to make a deposit)
- Complete Technical Standards Form (link in Alerts! BUSM Supplemental Application)
- Send Final Official Transcript to Office of Admissions (AMCAS does not provide this to us) email is best email@example.com
- Complete Certiphi Criminal Background Check (email will be sent to accepted applicants from Certiphi)
Tuition deposits should be mailed to: BUSM Office of Admissions, 72 East Concord Street, L124, Boston, MA 02118
Medical Student Residence and Off-Campus Housing
Students interested in the MSR should send a deposit form and check as soon as possible. There is currently a wait list for bed.
For MSR specific questions, call BU Real Estate at (617) 353-4101.
Students considering living in the MSR should familiarize themselves with BUSM Residence Policy.
Boston University Medical Campus Housing Resources and
Boston University Real Estate can provide additional information on other housing options in and around the Boston University Medical Campus.
BUMC Financial Services
Contact Boston University Medical Campus Student Financial Services for details about Medical School tuition and fees, to discuss financing options and initiate the loan application process. www.bumc.bu.edu/osfs/med/ firstname.lastname@example.org 617-358-6550
Entering students interested in applying for Need Based financial aid are strongly encouraged to start the process early. Details may be found here.
BUSM Laptop and Tablet Requirements
Entering students should review the laptop and table requirements on the Library website.
Health Forms & Insurance
First year medical students begin seeing patients within their first week of medical school, so completing all the health requirements is necessary to start class.
Boston University Student Health Services Pre-Matriculation Health Requirements and Documentation for Medical, Dental and Clinical Graduate Medical Sciences Program Entering Students
Schedule an appointment for a physical with your health care provider as soon as possible. Print the Immunization and Physical Form to bring to your appointment for completion: be sure to access the form for medical and dental students, which includes the more stringent requirements for health-professions students. You may need to begin a series of inoculations in order to comply with University and Massachusetts regulations. To complete your document and data submission, you must access the PatientConnect portal of Student Health Services: to do so you will need a Boston University identification number, email and Kerberos password (see below).
If you cannot access Patient Connect mail the forms to:
Health Insurance & Medical Care
Massachusetts law requires all students who are enrolled in at least 75% of the full-time curriculum to have medical insurance. Boston University School of Medicine automatically enrolled in an individual health plan. Additional information is outlined on the BUSM New Student Health Insurance information page.
Boston University School of Medicine values student wellness. A wide variety of health services are easily accessible to all medical students.
International entering students who require sponsorship by Boston University, must complete the International Student Data Form and submit the required supporting documentation to the Office of Admissions. Supporting documentation include, copy of passport photo page, copies of all of your immigration documents if you are currently in the U.S., and proof of financial resources. Details may be found on the ISSO Graduate and Non-Degree Students page. I-20 processing begins 90 days before the first day of class. We STRONGLY suggest you submit your documentation to BUSM prior to that so that your forms may be placed in the processing queue. I-20s will be delivered to you via Federal Express to the address provided on the International Student Data Form.
Permanent Residents are asked to submit a copy of your Permanent Resident Card “Green Card”.
If your immigration status has changed since your application to BUSM, we request you submit copies of your new status documentation.
The International Students & Scholars Office has provided comprehensive advice on how to make the immigration process as seamless as possible.
May 26 – Registration for Boston University email accounts/logins have been sent via email. If you don’t see it in your inbox, check your spam folder, or send us an email at email@example.com. Students with a previous BU affiliation who already have a BU account, can continue to use it at BUSM.
The BU Student Link provides direct access to public and personal academic, financial, and institutional data maintained in the University’s central computer system.
In the spring, you will receive an email with information on how to set up your Boston University email account and password, and this login information will also be used to access the Student Link. This login must be set up before you attend Orientation. If you are unable to set up your BU email address or still have questions, please contact the Office of Admissions at 617-358-9540 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
BU Identification Card (Terrier Card)
All BUSM students are issued a Terrier Card with an assigned University I.D. number that will be used for all University records including registration, class adjustments, and access to the telephone information system.
Your Terrier Card will be issued during Orientation. Photo identification must be presented to receive a new card. Valid identification includes a driver’s license, state identification card, or passport. The Terrier Card is valid for on-campus identification only.
BUSM Administration & Services
BUSM prides itself on providing excellent services to its students. There are a wide variety of staff offices from Student Affairs to Education to Diversity and Multicultural Affairs. Here is a list of the staff offices Administration & Services available to medical campus students.
BU Alert System
All students must provide Boston University with their appropriate emergency contact information before registering for classes. In the event of a campus emergency, this information will be used to notify students. Once you have a BU account, you may update your contact information on the Student Link. To learn more about this notification system, visit BU Alert.
BUSM Merchandise now available at Barnes & Noble @ Boston University.
Barnes & Noble @ Boston University Bookstore
910 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02215-2066
Fall 2019 MBTA Semester pass: Unlimited for 4 months: Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec. (September 1st, – December 31st, 2019)
Students receive an 11% discount, must purchase for all for months.
Applications can be found on our website (link below) or at our office @ 710 Albany St. (Hours: 9am-5pm)
The deadline to apply is Friday August 10th, 2018. Office closes at 5pm.
We accept credit/debit cards, check, or money order in office, and money order or check via mail.
For any mailed applications: payment must be received by August 10th. Post mark dates will not be honored.
Forms can be found here: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/transcomm/forms/
Office of Admissions
Student Financial Services
Student Accounting Services
Student Health Services
Housing Resources (Off Campus Housing)
BU Real Estate Office (Medical Student Residence)
Student Affairs (OSA)
Office of the Registrar
Office of Development
BU Disability & Access Services
July 1 – Commit to Enroll Reminder
June 19, 2020: Added White Coat Recording Instructions in White Coat Ceremony section; Added Get to Know Your Neighborhood link
June 16, 2020 – removed White Coat Order form – deadline passed.
June 15, 2020 – Added Town Hall Recording; added White Coat Order Form
May 26, 2020 – Student Link section
June 1, 2020 – White Coat Ceremony section