Want to Learn More?
Home | Members | Donors | Events |National Awards | More Information
BUSM Alpha Omega Alpha is a thriving, vibrant chapter of the national organization. See below to learn more.
AOA Selection Process
AY 2022-2023 Selection Process
AΩA is dedicated to the belief that in the profession of medicine we will improve care for all by:
- Recognizing high educational achievement
- Honoring gifted teaching
- Encouraging the development of leaders in academia and the community
- Supporting the ideals of humanism; and
- Promoting service to others
AOA Selection Criteria:
- Each school may elect up to 20% of the graduating class of students,
- Based on merit, students demonstrate the characteristics of excellent physicians in alignment with AΩA’s mission and values.
- AΩA is committed to national leadership in advancing diversity and inclusion in the profession of medicine.
- Chapters are provided the flexibility to value the diversity of qualities that contribute to high quality patient care, leadership, service, and scholarship.
BUSM AOA Domains for Selection:
Excellence demonstrated during medical school of:
- High Quality Patient Care
- Academic Achievement
- Humanism- including altruism, empathy, and compassion
Students in final year (4th year for most students) of medical school
Students must be in the top 50 percent of the class by academic rank to be considered for AOA
Student Application Submission
Students submit application consisting of
- Responses to 2 Essay Questions
- Choose one accomplishment or activity from your medical school years that has been most meaningful to you. Describe how this activity demonstrates a commitment to leadership, scholarship, research, or community service. (250 words max)
- Who or what inspired you during your journey to or in medical school? How has this influenced the kind of physician you wish to be? (250 words)
Faculty Judges Review applications. Each application will be reviewed by 2 judges. Using a scoring rubric, each application will be assigned a score for demonstrated leadership, service, and humanism. Academic achievement will be a consideration in the evaluation process. Students with an academic record in the top 20% of earned Honors will get an additional minor adjustment to their score that is less than 7% of the total score.
Chair Review of Applications
Two faculty chairs will review all applications and scores to ensure that there are no discrepancies. When there are specific discrepancies, the chairs will get clarification from faculty for scoring and make a final judgement of score. By August 23rd, a list of accepted students will be submitted to the Medical School Dean.