Grade Submission Policy
Boston University Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine has a policy in place that ensures a timely summative assessment of medical student performance. Our policy is below:
- Grades for all pre-clerkship courses without an end of year clinical assessment must be reported to the Registrar’s Office within two weeks of the end of the course.
- Grades for all pre-clerkship courses with an end of year clinical assessment must be reported to the Registrar’s Office within six weeks of the end of the course.
- Grades for all required clerkships and electives taken at Boston University must be reported to the Registrar’s Office within six weeks of the end of the clerkship/elective.
To ensure the policy is strictly adhered to the following steps have been put in place:
- The Registrar contacts all of the pre-clerkship course coordinators prior to the end of the course to review the time frame for grade submission. They are contacted again one week prior to the deadline as a reminder and to discuss any issues that may prevent the course from submitting the grades within the established time frame.
Required Clerkship Courses and Chobanian & Avedisian SOM Electives
Date indicated on document is the 4-week mark that begins the follow up process outlined below.
- At the start of each academic year the Medical Education Office provides the clerkship/elective coordinators with the grade submissions deadlines.
- 4 Weeks after Block Ends Reminder emails are sent for outstanding evaluations
- 5 Weeks after Block Ends the Associate Dean of Medical Education follows up on outstanding evaluations and arranges appointment with the faculty member to meet with Dean for the next week
- Prior to the end of the 6th week, the Dean will meet with the faculty member to determine the grade and deliver it to the Registrar’s Office.
Approved by the Medical Education Committee (MEC) on November 9, 2017