Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Interest Group
Faculty Advisors: Dr. Joel Henderson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ryan Chahal, email@example.com
The mission of the BUSM Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Interest Group (PaLMIG) is to provide medical students with early exposure to and opportunities in the field of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. We aim to:
- Increase students’ awareness of the breadth of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine during the pre-clinical years;
- Demonstrate the integral role of pathologists in providing clinical care to patients;
- Demonstrate how knowledge gained during the pre-clinical curriculum forms the fundamental knowledge base for the practice of pathology.
- Increase medical students’ awareness and understanding of the breadth of pathology;
- Facilitate medical students wishing to explore pathology through engaging and interactive lectures and demonstrations;
- Increase the number of senior medical students choosing pathology as a career – can be measured by monitoring graduating class Match statistics.
We will accomplish these objectives by providing opportunities that span the broad scope of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, including:
- Facilitating shadowing experiences within both Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, at the microscope and grossing bench, including:
- Pathology Case Sign-Outs at the microscope;
- Forensic Pathology & Autopsy observation, including a day trip to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner;
- Hands-on Surgical Cytopathology frozen section workshop;
- Microbiology Plate Rounds
- Tour of the BMC Blood Bank
- Speaker Series & Career Lunches
- Case Presentations
- Dissemination of Departmental Research Opportunities
- Journal Club-type events
- A list compiled by the College of American Pathologists (CAP) of both funded and non-funded clinical and research opportunities open to medical students considering taking additional time during medical school to pursue Pathology-oriented training in Pathology programs across the country.
- Pathology Outlines is an authoritative all-around resource for gathering pathology-related information quickly and easily – the ‘Uptodate’ of Pathology
- A directory for looking up basic information about all Pathology Residency programs in the United States.
- The Intersociety Council for Pathology Information’s website of Training Resources for Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. This is an excellent resource for finding information about a career in Pathology.