BUSM is affiliated with 26 hospitals, providing students with diverse clinical environments in which to learn.
Three clinical sites are on the Boston University Medical Campus (BUMC):
- Boston Medical Center (BMC), Boston, Mass. A private, not-for-profit, 496-bed academic medical center located on the Boston University Medical Campus, BMC is the primary teaching affiliate for BUSM. The largest safety net hospital in New England, BMC provides a full spectrum of pediatric and adult care services, from primary care and family medicine to advanced specialty care. BMC is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England.
- Boston Healthcare for the Homeless, Boston, Mass., provides integrated medical, behavioral and oral health care, as well as preventive services, to more than 11,000 homeless people. Services are delivered in clinics, shelters and a 104-bed medical respite unit. BUSM is an education partner.
- Solomon Carter Fuller Mental Health Center, Boston, Mass., is a 32-bed public psychiatric mental health hospital serving the adult population of Boston. It specializes in drug and alcohol addiction issues as well as providing other psychiatric services.
Other major affiliations include:
- Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System (VABHCS), West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, and Brockton, Mass. The VA Boston Health Care System is the major tertiary care center for New England veterans. VABHCS hosts a number of clinical and research centers of excellence, deploys advanced technologies, and provides primary care to patients from southern New Hampshire and a large segment of eastern Massachusetts.
- Kaiser Permanente Northern California became an official branch campus of the Boston University School of Medicine in 2015. Kaiser has revolutionized healthcare and healthcare technology, resulting in more immediate and responsive patient care. A leader in patient safety and quality improvement, the Kaiser system has been the model for the future of medicine. BUSM students may spend either a full year or half year completing clinical rotations at Kaiser Medical Centers in San Jose and Santa Clara.
- Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, Mass., is a long-term care facility specializing in geriatric and psychiatric care. Comprehensive health services for veterans include mental health, medicine, psychiatry, physical medicine, dentistry, geriatrics, and ambulatory care.
- Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, R.I., is a community-owned and -governed health care organization that provides advanced specialty care. Established in 1878 as the Homeopathic Hospital of Rhode Island, Roger Williams Medical Center provides advanced diagnostic services, specialized surgery, and medical care in their inpatient and outpatient settings.
- MetroWest Medical Center is a 269-bed regional health care system. Comprehensive services include a 24-hour emergency department, advanced cardiac care, high technology cancer care capabilities, surgical services including minimally invasive laparoscopic techniques, maternity services and behavioral medicine programs. BUSM Students may complete rotations at Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick, Mass. or Framingham Union Hospital in Framingham, Mass.
- Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, Mass., is a 213-licensed bed teaching facility providing comprehensive inpatient services in all medical specialties. Mount Auburn Hospital is a member of the American Hospital Association, the Council of Teaching Hospitals, and the Association of Medical Colleges.
- Steward Health Care, is the largest fully integrated community care organization in New England. It includes St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Brighton, Mass., and Norwood Hospital, with more than 3,000 primary care and specialist physicians in its network. St. Elizabeth’s is consistently recognized for providing high-quality care and ranks in the top 10 percent of the nation for patient safety. Norwood Hospital is a full-service community hospital, with a century caring for the residents of Norwood and surrounding communities.
- Berkshire Medical Center is a 298-bed community hospital in Pittsfield, Mass and has received numerous national recognitions for service excellence and patient safety, including the Healthgrades Awards for Patient Safety Excellence and Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence.
- Boston Children’s Hospital is a 404-bed comprehensive center for pediatric health care and offers a complete range of health care service for children from birth through 21 years of age. Children’s Hospital has been recognized as the #1 ranked pediatric hospital by U.S. News & World Report for five years in a row.
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center includes an ambulatory care center and a 335-bed hospital. Lahey has received recognition as a cardiovascular hospital and cardiac care facility.
- Bournewood Hospital is a privately-owned 90-bed psychiatric facility in Brookline, Mass. The inpatient units consist of 3 acute treatment wards, a dual-diagnosis unit, and an adolescent unit. In addition, there is a partial hospitalization unit and an outpatient clinic.